Recomendações Brasileiras

This is great mix of modern Brazilian stuff put together by Antal:

Listen to Brazilian Music Special - RNR_3_11_22 by Antal by antalrushhour on #SoundCloud

3 Likes

Checking now. Thanks for this. Antal knows his onions.

It’s been a few years since I have been to Brazil and the last time I was there it was definitely local and foreigner pricing scenes. Particularly at the dealers.

Has it all gone absolutely mental pricing-wise? Is there anything left worth buying? I found a lot of the copies were beaten up as well, but in Lisbon they weren’t.

Well, you have to think of it this way - as I write this:

1 US Dollar = 5.12 Brazilian Real
1 GB Pound = 5.89 BRL
1 Euro = 5.13 BRL

Used records will be all over the place price and condition wise. The big classics will be expensive, because most of them really are a worldwide market kind of thing, but even then, a lot of shop owners can’t speak good english, don’t want to deal with discogs or paypal, and loathe our complicated export procedures at the post office. So if you are physically here, at the moment, our currency is weak and any of the above is strong. You’ll probably be able to get a lot of music for not a lot of money. Particularly if you don’t mind digging for off the path records. That’s not gonna change much for the next year, I’d say. If it does it will probably get worse for the BRL, but with the new president and crises in USA and Europe who knows. Best bet is all will remain sort of like this.

If you go the tourist trap/discogs way, then you’re buying at world prices and they will probably gouge your eyes out. Cheaper to look for the records in your continent, or maybe Japan. My friend Thiago Guiselini who owns Amor Records in Lisbon can probably get you anything you want if you’re ok with waiting for a bit. Arnaldo Robles who runs @cocodiscos too, although he might charge a bit more. Also based in Lisbon.

2 Likes

Been loving this album since I discovered it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odXJUDu0lFU

2 Likes

digging this recently

3 Likes
1 Like

Enjoying this from the new Mr Bongo comp.

2 Likes

Apologies if they’ve already been mentioned, but I’ve been getting into the Gop Tun label.

One that I think some folks on here might enjoy:

Really been liking what Rico Jorge has been doing, too…

1 Like

Sergio doing a Stevie Wonder song with Stevie on synths.

https://youtu.be/CCyvdH2oQVw

3 Likes

Another banger from the same album

https://youtu.be/Nvd3uxXscIA

2 Likes

Excellent stuff. Both on the twelve too.

You’d recommend the album?

One or two tracks are a little cloying, but yeah, it’s an excellent album otherwise. Stevie plays throughout and def feel his presence on a lot of the tracks. Would also recommend for the cover alone, plus the inner sleeve has Sergio heavily bandaged in a wheelchair shaking Pele’s hand….

4 Likes

An 80 min mix of Lincoln Olivetti productions. I’m pretty new to Brazilian music but I’m discovering he’s had a hand in a lot of the stuff I like - Brazilian rhythms/genres combined with influences like Earth Wind and Fire, Donald Fagan The Nightfly, Quincy’s work on Thriller, etc. It all makes for phenomenal party music.

4 Likes

Yeah Lincoln and Olivetti are bang on with that kind of vibe.

Thanks for the link. That’s tomorrow’s chores soundtrack.

1 Like

Just a pedantic correction but Lincoln Olivetti is one man. You may be thinking of him and Robson Jorge (guitar player) who did a great album together, and just this month a sequel came out on my friend’s label Selva Discos of previously unreleased material for a second album that almost never was:

7 Likes

Wow, wasn’t aware of the sequel, very excited about this! Only discovered the 1982 album last year and it’s been on heavy rotation ever since, pure joy from beginning to end.

1 Like

Me neither. Can’t wait for this!

Thought I’d posted this yonks ago, but seemingly not… found this whilst spending a day plowing through the racks at a record store in Belo Horizonte.

Will try and share a few others if I can recall how to spell 'em correctly and can find 'em online.

1 Like