Paninaro Magazine

Looks like a nice mag and probably would appeal to a lot of folks on this forum.
It sold out in a few days and by the time I knew about the mag all copies were gone :frowning: but how cool is it that a mag like this can sell out in a matter of days!
They will release a digital version of Issue 1 in April and Im going to make sure I dont sleep on a print issue of Vol 2.

I saw this at a friends house. Is it sponsored by Adidas? A lot of Adidas shoes in there. It’s all about casual culture really but it looked good. I was hoping the title was literal.

2 Likes

I had the conversation with a friend that on first glance you expect it to be focusing on the Paninaro scene and that its actually about Casual Culture, which is cool as that allows lots of crossover to Acid House/Club Culture.

And while were talking Paninaro I just have to say (and I always do) that there is no doubt in my mind that in the Paninaro video Chris Lowe looks the coolest anybody ever has ever. Ive been trying to find out for years what jacket he is wearing in the video.

1 Like

Nice piece from OiPolloi on the Paninaro phenomena

2 Likes

And another from Vice with the director of Best Co.

1 Like

Could it be Best Company?

Please no more of these magazines dredging over the 80s.

You know exactly what the articles are going to about.

The obligatory Irvine Welsh bit it’s all so tedious. He wasn’t even a casual just being leeched off because he is buying them drinks.

A lots of ‘lads’ were not nice people, many were cowards except in groups and held some unpleasant views. Hibs terorrised an Edinburgh night ran by a black promoter from Newcastle late 80s, he says he was lucky to get out alive.

But good luck to them, free pair of Burlington socks with issue one

10 Likes

Yep, casuals made being a young man in the 80’s a very unsafe position to be in. I knew lot’s from school who were top boys, and unsurprisingly they were Aholes. One of the reasons that I got into underground clubbing, no getting jumped for no reason, no looking over your shoulder all night.

1 Like

Many folks have a hunch its Best Company but none like it have appeared in pictures / auctions etc that I’ve looked at in the last few years.
I used to think it was a CP Company or Boneville but again there have been no pics to suggest it is.

The casuals here in Plymouth made going out from about 88 to about 91 a fucking nightmare.
In 88 the one good place in town to hear good music was above a boozer where the lads used to drink, and sometimes they would come upstairs to where the good music was playing and even though they rarely caused trouble there (they were friends of the DJ) it was still a walking on eggshells experience, totally ruined the vibe becuase you knew you might be one move or look away from getting a wack.
Things got better from 89 onwards, its a bit of a cliché but the House Music / Drugs combination cut down the amount of trouble in the clubs here massively but the pubs before the clubs were still really volatile and you could still catch a bad one walking home.
Over the years I became friends with them and by the mid 90s was drinking and going away with them but I totally get (from first hand experience) how the Causals could really fuck up a night.

3 Likes

I was in Plymouth visiting a mate around 90/91 and he took me to this small club upstairs and it was an SAS night (Simon & Shaun?) Was quite a rocking wee night!

Its actually Simon who I reference in my post above as the DJ who was friendly with the casuals.
The SAS are proper legends down here, from small sweatbox nights to big promotions in they did it all.
They put on a reunion night a few years back, 100s of people attended, was fun seeing people for the first time in decades, the youthful looks, ponytails and French Bobs now a thing of the past with almost all attendees now being bald and overweight (myself included) :slight_smile:

4 Likes

In Italian, but nevertheless fascinating.

3 Likes

The Bradley Welsh episode of Danny Dyer’s Britain’s Deadliest Men ptobably hasn’t aged very well.

4 Likes

Nicked off a mate on Insta
.reminded me there was a quest to find out what it was on here

1 Like

Such a killer jacket, a friend of mine guessed it was going to be a Boneville (Navy Artitic) and he was correct!
Brainplanttree is the guy on Insta who scourced / IDed this jacket, hes defo worth following for folks into CP / Boneviile ect as his colloection is next level!

1 Like

Yeah a mate of mine shared it from his account. Internet always comes though mate, thought you’d appreciate if you hadn’t seen it already :call_me_hand:t3:

1 Like