Original Balearic Mash Ups

1 Like

Jagz

Flip side of the Phil Collins

Ok, it’s 2007 so a bit off topic

Italians channelling PM Dawn vibes whilst covering Duran Duran

3 Likes

Great thread!!!

Remember having a “moment” to this at a Big Chill in, I would guess, about 2000/2001 (the years do tend to merge together a bit in my recollections of that era).

6 Likes

the O is ace!!!

1 Like

Also a longtime fan of this. Rmx credited to Danny Krivit on Discogs. Someones finally stuck it on YT

3 Likes

in terms of modern ‘mashups’ there’s the before and after 2 Many Djs. Felt like they opened the floodgates.

or was anyone doing it in the 90s? leaving aside the odd cheesy euro ‘megamix’ b-side

No point in posting it as we’ve all heard it a million times…

but I suppose Candi Staton/Jamie Principle/DJ Eren counts?

4 Likes

Bootsys Rubber Band - Body Slam?

1 Like

2 Many DJ’s definitely started the whole thing and, as with most trends, many jumped on the bandwagon and the quality control was lacking.
Remember Eddy Temple-Morris having a Saturday night show on XFM, in which all he seemed to play was “mash ups.” Some were bloody awful.

A nice idea pretty badly executed (apparently by Mick himself)

3 Likes

Slightly off topic and probably more cut and paste than mash up, but this is where it all started for me. It blew my mind when I first heard it.

8 Likes

There is a really nice Aquarela do Brasil medley from way back but can’t find it.

1 Like

Absolutely massive in its day

4 Likes
4 Likes

Are these edits as opposed to Italian fellas putting the breakbeat on the pop :man_shrugging:t3:

Alright, there’s been some scope creep.

2 Likes

An Italian mash up/edit is by definition going to be bending the rules

Inspiration for OR inspired by Electra - Autumn Love?

6 Likes

Loosely related to this thread I wrote something recently about Spanish radio when I used to visit on holiday, touching upon the cheesy megamixes which were big at the time!

And related to that here’s a beginner’s guide to doing a megamix. In Spanish but you get the gist!