Open AI - Anyone Playing With It?

I was pleasantly surprised by my dabblings with Dall-E I have to say and certainly some of the textual stuff above is pretty amazing, something I haven’t messed with. Musically the ambient music AI/generative output is credible, often better and sometimes the only thing seperating it from the human made music is the creative context.

With the creative stuff the first legal precedents will be key, it’s just annoying that governments and creative bodies aren’t already shaping some sort of legal guidelines already, it’s the same of shit - like cryptocurrency, things have to blow up or an industry be decimated for the law to catch up. We’ll have to wait for The Beatles lawyers, Getty Images or Penguin Publishers to fight a 3 year legal battle for the lawmakers to get cracking.

My main concern with AI is who’s developing it? That will pretty much shape its/our future. Google AI - will be data mining/advertising focussed, Military AI well we know where that one goes :face_with_peeking_eye:

1 Like

Midjourney x Rock n Roll Preschool

16 Likes

Who did that? It’s brilliant heheh.

1 Like

No idea. I nicked it off Roisin, who nicked it off a Midjourney FB group :smiley:

Iggy looks like a whole world of trouble…

1 Like

Here’s some stuff I’ve been playing with in mid journey which I’m finding is currently better than Dall-E. those ones above are amazing, I’ve not played with inputting photos yet but I’ll definitely have a go.

2 Likes

Also this guy is amazing, the consistency of the world he is building is fantastic.
https://instagram.com/neptunianglitterball?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

2 Likes

AI music generation. No tab for ‘Balearic’ as yet though.

Wow. It’s a scary business. I guess it’ll put pay to people who make generic music and make you really create your own sound.

It really emphasises the need for music to have “soul” and be “human”.

Whether that’s proper Detroit machine music with soul or a rare groove or disco tune.

If the music you make sounds like it could be made by AI, let the AI make it.

1 Like

Loving this! Outstanding. Thanks.

1 Like

4 Likes

history repeating

2 Likes

isn’t this the same argument as when the “machines” started making music? human/technology interface, many criticised the output as “not proper music” as it wasn’t made using “traditional” instruments by proper musicians, therefore lacked integrity and “soul”?

It’s as old as the hills! Nothing changes.

Nick Cave’s thoughts on ChatGPT:

2 Likes

Maybe it will help art evolve. When photography was invented people said painting was dead, but then we got impressionism, cubism, Picasso etc. I’m sure there are other examples too.

1 Like

i mean, I guess AI is also being used for the serious/boring stuff but it would seem that most people indulge in creative endeavors because they enjoy it (at least to begin with!) so why remove that part of the process.
Maybe its a case of waiting for the novelty to wear off (see also: iPods/mp3s + the return to vinyl/physical product)

My friend made a good point the other day in that he could see ChatGPT taking over from Google as it basically does what you want Google to do which is generally answer questions. I don’t often go on Google to buy something which is what seems to be its focus these days. I kind of know where to go for that…

Found this quite interesting the other day:

“One of the biggest problems with ChatGPT is that it comes back, very confidently, with falsities,” says [Alan Turing Institute Professor] Wooldridge. “It doesn’t know what’s true or false. It doesn’t know about the world. You should absolutely not trust it. You need to check what it says."

Can’t get enough of this insta. The colours.

2 Likes