No caps, no hats, no sportswear! (Dress codes & door policies)

I would say the direction that clubbing was heading around 1991 Basics got it spot on at the right time. The scene had got a bit silly in my opinion and Basics wanted to head in a different direction and did it perfectly. Gary who worked on the door was always firm but fair and never rude and like you mention to get past him you had to up your game and make an effort or you wouldn’t get the chance to get into the best club in the country. I remember Phil Perry announcing over the microphone after closing his set at Basics that it was the best dressed and most up for it bunch of people he had ever played to, so I’d say the strict door policy didn’t affect the atmosphere, probably just made it even better as you never knew if you would get in the following week so made the most of it. Other clubs like Most Excellent had a similar door policy around that time which also made it such a unique night, getting past Elton on the door was seriously tough but if you made it you knew you were in for a belter of a night.

3 Likes

Was Gary the guy who used to work at the store Ace (formerly X)? He was great, definitely commanded respect on the door and set a tone - he always look incredible, a lot of big coats if I remember correctly.

Ultimately you don’t want everyone looking like they’re at a Gabba rave in a squat in Chickenley, you want people to look and feel their best - Basics was that place. There was a freedom and as a result a mix of personalities.

2 Likes

You’re giving me flashbacks of tight Armand Basi tops and white Armani Jeans :laughing:

3 Likes

I was working at an event a few weeks ago where the line-up was all people playing 140bpm+ techno with white noise blasts, very Mixmag-for-teenagers stuff, and all the guys who were there were wearing sports shorts. Not even nice, tailored, stylish ones - the kind of cheap synthetic ones you wore to PE. So many reasons I didn’t get it: they look nasty, nobody I saw had nice enough legs to pull them off, Glasgow is far too cold in January for this, and I couldn’t imagine turning up for pre-drinks with my pals and realising they’re wearing the exact same shorts as I am.

I guess I am old now.

3 Likes

All year round short wearing seems to be quite popular in Glasgow these days. Baffling

3 Likes

That was mentioned in another thread lol… What don’t you get… Very popular around here :roll_eyes:

1 Like

No problem with shorts in general. I have been known to show off the old legs during the warmer months :joy:

I see a lot of the young team cutting about in winter, in shorts. Often with a big winter jacket on, no socks and trainers

1 Like

What I’m seeing more of here is rugby types standing in the sea just up past their ankles wearing shorts and dry robes drinking a coffee…

2 Likes

Haha Yep, those tight Armand Basi tops were very popular, I defo didn’t have the figure to pull that look off though :joy:

1 Like

Yep Gary wore the big coats, always dressed in some nice clobber, proper decent lad to. Not sure if he worked in Ace but as it was only round the corner from The Music Factory he could have done. Those first few years at The Music Factory just attracted a great mixed gay / straight well dressed crowd who were musically very knowledgeable.

3 Likes

COVID. Remember that?

3 Likes

Bar a Bar?

1 Like

in 90/91 my friend and I were refunded entry to a bar as the Dress Codes stated “no French Bobs or Skin Heads”.
My friend had the French Bob, I had the Skin Head.

I think we got in with the exact same haircuts a few weeks latter.

6 Likes

Yes that’s it. Well remembered. There were so many places like that on that road, I used to turn up at the wrong one often.

1 Like

I have this theory that whatever the weather, if you wait long enough you’ll see a man in shorts.
Saw a guy the other day in Brighton, wooly hat, scarf, puffa jacket, gloves and… you guessed it

10 Likes

They are everywhere here where I live. Holding a coffee like its the Olympic torch

4 Likes

Winter Torso Syndrome. It’s a tragic affliction.

1 Like

Late 80s the only ‘club’ in Grantham refused us entry as one of us had trainers so went back to my mates, borrowed his dads gardening shoes ( knackered pair of Jonny James dad loafers) and hey presto entry

3 Likes

Classic “Letters Pages Spat” from The Face issue 41 and 42, Feb and March 1992.

3 Likes

The memories of ironing shirts and popping into faversham beforehand are coming back to me.

1 Like