Modded or mid-price rotary mixers

Comparing the built phono stage in the e&s to my external one. the external one being better. Not night and day but i can tell the difference. Worth upgrading then even to something modest imo.

1 Like

I was djing with Jazzie B a few years ago and i asked him which mixers he used for his sound system, he mentioned the E&S and Urei 1620 mixers (maybe more, i can’t really remember). I asked what he thought about the E&S and he said something similar, so i asked what he did about it and he described an upgrade system that was just too complex for me to really follow tbh…

He seemed to actual mod the mixer itself though, i probably should have had a notepad handy for his response.

I put Jazzie on as part 2 of a club’s weekend long birthday celebrations. We’d had to put a Rane in for Spinna the night B4 so I contacted Jazzie to see if he was happy for us to leave the set up. He got very excited, saying he’d never played on a rotary!
This would have been mid 00s, so perhaps I had a hand in turning him on to rotaries!

6 Likes

Your cartridge is pushed all the way foward in the headshell, so you tracking error will be huge. A pair of new eliptical styli cartridges set up correctly would be a massive gain over a what I see here.

I’ll add an edit: If you having to ask yourself queations about sound quality, if that is an original (not a bootleg) Prelude cut? Then something is very amiss with your set up.

1 Like

Not questioning the sound quality, it sounds fine. My post was solely focused on the comparison of the phono stage in the e&s to my external one. But thanks.

Simon might have spent a thousand on sound improvements for this party.
The bullet tweeters are Celestion, not as good as JBL but less expensive than the 2402 or 2402 which we have, but are unsupported for spare diaphragms now and just too much of a risk. The rotary knob controls the signal to crossover at 8k, the D75 is the best amp for bullets. The Peavey amp sounds great and is built like a tank.

Speakers are JBL control 10’s, voiced like a plastic version of a 4312. There is a modified control 10 cab underneath with a generic 12 inch woofer and inductor filtering out the highs. Active bass with another amp and a cab design which can fit into the small kitchen might be on the cards. As is, it sounds fantastic, looking foward to playing some great records on Saturday.

6 Likes

Woah what a set up- what’s the story with the neighbours? They in on the action as well??

1 Like

Never had a complaint from one side. The other side is a Take Away, I guess free music to all!

If I had my way it wouldn’t go louder than 100db ideally 95db with a heavy bass being a good level. Key is having the clarity to begin with. My ears are tested good, some others in the collective have damaged hearing, so hearing drift is a real thing.

This particular system is all about control and adding punch, snap and sizzle to the sound. The fact that we have gone this far for a mere kitchen system says how well this approach works.

1 Like

We had a spare pair of these once. I had a 18 inch JBL 2241 subwoofer and a pair of JBL 2405 slots on the top. We were using a pair of pickering XV Hi Fi cartridges. The sound was better than anything else we have ever heard up to my latest sound and Sun Palace Soundsystem

6 Likes

That peavey amp is ridiculous! I moved to Crown XLSs to save my back, and that thing is giving me nightmares :stuck_out_tongue:

I appreciate your approach of high quality sound at the right volume, You don’t need to drown your ears completely

That crown D-75A is the amp for the booth speakers? What are you using there?

Edit: read that’s for the tweeters…

The Crown D75 powers the bullet tweeters only. The Ashley Crossover provides a filter to send only high frequencys to the Crown D75.

The knob is simply a volume control to balance out the level of the tweeters, there is considerable need for this across different records. I see your edit but my original post was not that clear.

The Peavey amp does the rest of the system which can be considered full range.
Picture of Neil who is instagram savy.

2 Likes

dream item - i want a high quality phono pre-amp with multiple outputs as well as gain adjustments.

here’s the use case: i a couple of different carts/stylii combos. mostly ortofon DJ/s and shure M447s, but i also have some stanton 680’s and 500’s as well. for most DJ mixers, the ortofons and the shures come in a little too hot. i like the performance and the sound (for the most part) but would like to back the output off a little bit. yes, i know i could potentially do that via the gain/trim on the mixer, but i find that often, even the lowest levels are still a bit too hot. having a really sweet phono preamp would both improve the sound and give me a bit more consistency when moving from mixer to mixer.

but why multiple outputs? a couple of reasons - i’d love the option to set up a couple of different DJ mixers but not have to swap the turntable RCAs every time i want to switch. also, maybe i want individual db displays per turntable to help visually optimize gain before the mixer. sure, i suppose we could build that into the unit, but multiple outputs would give me that flexibility to go with whatever metering i choose.

so yep, one rack unit, two inputs to two hq phono preamps, two line-level outputs per turntable, gains for adjusting the outputs, and maybe db/vu meters built in.

going to see a pal of mine this weekend who is handy with the circuit boards, maybe we’ll knock out a little design.

I think I want one of these so I can connect my turntable to my amp for normal listening but also switch it to my Sonos port when needed so I can stream it to the kitchen.

Only had a Quick Look a few weeks ago but couldn’t find anything.

1 Like