Modded or mid-price rotary mixers

That’s sad news. I’ve got one of their early Radius 4v + FX units > deadly combo. Love the layout of the mixer (this is coming from a Urei) and although the FX unit took a bit of getting used to as no auto synch, its an absolute beast once you get under the hood. Sounds a million miles from the over familiar Pioneer efx. I always thought they hit the perfect middle ground between offering quality audio mixers but without the crazy prices. Wish them all the best.

2 Likes

Have read that it might also be because Union Audio are now producing theor own mixers.

IMO there’s a saturated market with not enough difference between what’s out there and Ryan is probably getting out before he’s got stock piling up. I think it’s a smart move. Andy at Union Audio will probably keep making mixers though…

2 Likes

That’s what i took away from it as well. A shame and I hope it makes my R4 more valuable for resale, haha! P S does anyone else have scratchy ISO pots on theirs? Seems a common thing on the radius series?

Have never used/heard one so difficult to comment on pricing. Anyone in the peanut gallery here got thoughts on the matter?

Bit of a jump from the Elara to the other stuff.

Yeah mine are quite scratchy, however they don’t seem to do it as much though since I wiggled them about a lot (think I read that its from dust getting stuck there so might have displaced it).

Also get a lot of pops from turning the filter on/off on the FX unit too, happens less if I turn the resonance and distortion down.

1 Like

A tin of this and the F5 version is well worth keeping handy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DeoxIT-D5S-6-Contact-Cleaner-Integrated/dp/B0002BBV4G/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=9Y9K35D5T9B5&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.kdoBuDcY5mSw2OmSBvb9SD05CO7VDF0Mn49m57hWKutQSw66zEKiJrs1IOay4IsEaKBI11SENGA5GABKZdA39FdjkXDnIFSOkvIYg_HioPpF8j_QF_ZmGgYQYVDPSraoqBIOGik_cbUPS90nt00JlA.xMYRpRaQzUT9ToX7HK44HCE61wQnHvBsKpRsxixYQ7w&dib_tag=se&keywords=deoxit+d5&qid=1718179985&sprefix=deoxit%2Caps%2C103&sr=8-1

1 Like

My new rotary mixer has started giving off mini electric shocks. Am baffled as to what the problem is. Everything seems correctly wired and I never had this problem with the previous one. Is it likely to be the mixer itself or the power supply? Thought I was imagining it at first but it seems to be getting slightly worse.

Probably a grounding issue. Have someone look at it, could be dangerous.

3 Likes

Anyone tried the new Omnitronic TRM-222 yet? Thinking about switching things up and selling my MS Radius 2, and I quite like the look of this but don’t know anyone who has one/has tried it…

https://reverb.com/uk/item/82754652-omnitronic-trm-222-2-channel-rotary-mixer-2024?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=20304708451&utm_content=campaignid=20304708451_adgroupid=_productpartitionid==merchantid=5080457656_productid=82754652_keyword=_device=m_adposition=_matchtype=_creative=&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAADRxZYX4cUzWOh-Z0dO6IIQmhDUuB&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvb-zBhCmARIsAAfUI2ufr88XJfsjAgjib8wd7xQK-gmiFq6H8k82xwZcWTvitzqXcVElxTwaAthkEALw_wcB

1 Like

Anyone seen or used one of these? New from Berlin outfit Resor

Made to order. Look lovely.

1 Like

slightly off topic, but I have a standard fader mixer, and everything with it is okay, apart from the fader / sound curve. it’s a xone43. do you know, is it possible to change the curve by swapping out the faders for other ones, or do you think the curve is set in the ‘software’ and so the actual fader wouldn’t make any difference?

thanks.

The audio signal passes through the fader or uses VCA per channel, according to marketing. Likely to exceed the effort if it involves labour and soldering.

Just to add it might have been done somewhere on the web.

Fader curves on the 43 are hardware not software, they are defined by the potentiometer resistance on the faders. I believe quite linear as opposed to logarithmic - it’s the style of fader preferred by the designer of those mixers Andy Rigby Jones. I think if you aren’t a fan it’s probably going to be easier to just switch to another mixer than try to modify what you have.

I have a Xone 42 BTW.

1 Like

okay, thanks for the answers, looks like I’m better off just selling this one and getting a different mixer.

will start saving the pennies…

weird question, but does anyone use high quality phono preamps and then send them into their dj mixer (any mixer) at line level?

i’ve got way way too many mixers but i feel like i could play around and get better sound out of some good quality phono preamps and go directly line-level input and not depend of a mixer’s phono input and color for the overall tone and feel. who knows, maybe this is a fool’s errand. but it just seems like i could be a little more prescriptive with my cart/styli/turntable/preamp prior to feeding to a midlevel club mixer. it’d be more expensive, but maybe not, if you’re not spending buttloads on a fancy bespoke or vintage mixer.

I’ve got a couple of Cambridge Audio 640P, nearly 20 years old now but can be picked up fairly cheap on the used market.
Definitely an improvement over the preamps built in to many mixers.

1 Like

These were mentioned on the Home Listening thread as the biggest single positive influence on sound quality when upgrading:

1 Like

I’ve found a Rane MP24 which I bought on ebay for 99p to have the best sound of any of the non exotic mixers. It has decent genuine plus and minus rail voltage and the design although using basic op amps sounds incredible. Comes from an era when stuff just worked and sounded good, it is also made to a Richard Long spec when Urei and Bozak mixers were being replaced. Try one of the early models before before the VCA crossover circuits. I’ve also found later Rane stuff to fail to meet the grade on sonics despite being well made from good parts.

Modifications are a trap you could fall into thinking you are having a smart get round to improving things. This is not the case, just buy very high end used gear make sure everything is perfectly in spec and get on with life.

Oh, I’m after a vacuum record cleaner from Watson, noise free amazing sounding pressings is where it’s at if I’m paying good money for records.

More on topic, had some "project’ phono amps which came with my boazk that was missing phono cards. They sounded dreadful.

Absoutely no upgrades on my wants list at all.

2 Likes

I remember when, at the end of the 80s/early 90s (when there was an explosion of cheap equipment for ravers), you knew you were in a decent club if it had either an MP24 or a Formula Sound PM90.

1 Like