Modded or mid-price rotary mixers

Does anybody have this mixer? or used?

1 Like

looks pretty serious. love the top-mounted I/Os

The expensive rotary mixer selection these days is mind boggling, and mostly mind bogglingly expensive. That TPI is a lotta money. Never seen an actual one. There is an italian company called NEA that just released their desktop model which looks amazing, and similar in layout.

As for “affordable” well I would recommend making sure you get something with at least good Phono preamps. Mastersounds is probably your best value for money, as they sound very very nice, but the layouts on the Radius might not please all, with the single hpf (which is great) for mixing and vertical ISO (which is very smooth). Omnitronic is not the way IMO. Lots of issues with those, quality not great and they don’t sound that good. Better to get an MC Audio Solutions kit for an Allen & Heath 22/23 or 42/43 which is the “cheapest” way into a decent sounding rotary.

2 Likes

I looked at my Carmen V as a lifetime investment. I doubt I’ll ever buy another mixer and so wanted high quality from the off. Also, because of the lead time of around 20 weeks, it meant that I could pay the deposit, and then save up for the other 50% during that wait time.

It’s completely transformed my love for DJing and when I think of cost x use over the past 3-and-a-half years along with how much I’ll use it in the future, it works out as a fantastic investment.

3 Likes

200 of them produced and sold already.

What’s the retail version of an ‘earworm’? Whatever it is this thread is it… can I block it somehow so I never see it again? I’m having Bozak dreams…

1 Like

Ha. Me too. What with the trainers/clothes topics as well as tunes I’m in deep trouble on this forum!

1 Like

For anyone not sold on the the idea of shelling out, I absolutely adored my Xone 23 with the MC Audio conversion kit. I like my Radius 2 more, but not much more. I also forked out £1100 for mine on credit before all my DJ gigs got cancelled last year, after which the price immediately got lowered by £400 :rage:

Your Xone conversion certainly looked nice, but that Mastersounds looks like a serious piece of kit.

I found an original Urei 1620 for reasonably cheap and after getting used to it i was happy enough to dj with it without the dual iso and just work the mix with the volumes. I got to a/b it with club installed DJM800/900s and A&H mixers and it did have a noticeably better sound to my ears when standing in the sweet spot on the dancefloor. My friend scored an insanely cheap mint Vestax PMC46 Rotary which i think was sort of based on the Urei (So i read somewhere) I will see if i can get her to post her thoughts on it in here.

I have the Vestax PMC46 rotary mixer. Overall I am pretty happy with it and I managed to get it at a good price (£100).

The sound is great, the volume has loads of headroom without any distortion. The build quality is also good, all the knobs are metal and feel really tactile which I think is part of the fun of using rotary mixers, mixing feels more Intuitive.

My only gripes would be the crossfader, there only being 2 eqs and the VU meter. As you move out of the left or right channel on the crossfader the volume dips quite noticeably and there is only a low and a hi eq so no mids unfortunately. The VU meter is pretty much useless for measuring the volume of the track you are mixing in, I manage fine by ear though.

I would never sell this mixer as it’s so fun to use and such a steal.

5 Likes

an alternative solution to dropping $2000+ on a nice rotary i don’t think anyone’s mentioned yet is adding a master isolator to whatever your existing mixer is. this won’t save you from the crossfader or the level faders on your mixer but it does provide the fun of wheeling up the three big knobs on top which is what most people love about rotaries.

i got the omnitronic mk2 and had no problems with it. was great for messing around and a lot of fun. can’t attest to the preamps as i never ran it through any high quality speakers.

when the mk3 came out a few years ago i traded the mk2 for it because i liked the shape of the knobs and the slightly more intuitive layout better, but quickly found that when i turned the individual channel hi/lows, the channels panned slightly to the left / right which is a bit weird and indicative of cheap / sloppy wiring which i could probably try to fix but can’t be arsed.

How much was the conversion if you don’t mind me asking??

Hey Henry, I think it was something like €180 for the components and a local chap in Edinburgh fitted them for like an hour’s labour, £40 odd?

If you message Marios on instagram or thru FB he will give you a quote for the parts & shipping, or you can send your mixer to him and he will customise it directly.

It looks stunning and Xone23 is a fantastic sounding mixer, it’s well worth the combined investment. The 22 conversions are less appealing to me as the 22 has no power switch, clicks/pops when you engage the multimode filter and also has less headroom by a few DBs than the 23.

3 Likes

:smiley:

This is headed out to my rural redoubt where it will be plugged in and thoroughly put through its paces at very high volume. Thanks for the tip y’all. I’ll report back. :pray:t3:

4 Likes

nice, have fun. also please let me know if you experience the issue i described above ^

looking forward to your review on it- am thinking of getting one myself. One issue i thought of when looking into it was that it doesnt have gain volume control for the 2 channels. Be interesting to see how it handles playing lps vs 12" singles and mixing them together

I’ve been anticipating dealing with this by setting a sort of respective ceiling for how high I turn the dial for bringing in an LP vs a 12” and also a quick flick of the master volume.

Anyone know a good source for rotary faders to replace the standard ones? I know the PMC-25 has them so the do exist but can’t find anyone here in the UK who does them.
Hopefully won’t be made of unobtainium and more dollars than a new mixer.

Edit: maybe I’ll just get a new mixer e-shop » Rotary faders » DF-25 Pro KIT - Vestax Japan megastore of spare parts €127 each!

I will render my review in haiku:

Fun versus dollars
there is no greater value
a bedroom Bozak

6 Likes