Modded or mid-price rotary mixers

I agree. I think the upper limit is the price of a Mastersounds Radius 2, after that we are talking serious money for a mixer. Nothing wrong with that, but against the spirit of the thread.

Having said that, not many new mid price options out there since the Ecler came out.

Fair point. The price of the modular one is all a bit of a mystery at this point. Would be nice if it is actually affordable.

I’ll probably just go for the cake throw and confetti cannon modules to keep the price down.

6 Likes

I’m more of a co2 cannon guy myself

I have a Nuo 2 which I bought to replace a broken Xone 32 6-7 years ago and obviously never got around to fixing up the Xone.

Looking to upgrade now and the main thing I’m looking for is better sound -having recently upgraded my sound system and carts - as these are both entry level mixers ultimately.

I’m somewhat curious about the rotary kit for the 32. So one option is to get it fixed and install the kit, but does it really affect or improve the sound? Same thing with the Nuo 2 vs. Warm 2, theres a couple hundred € difference between them which makes me wonder where that money has been spent, engineering or presentation/aesthetics?

This pretty much encapsulates my dilemma with rotary in general…

2 Likes

I did the mod to my Xone23. It won’t improve the sound it’s purely about how to bring up the level on each channel, and that is the issue with the mod.

Without going into the technical detail (because I’m not technical) the problem seems to be the difference in how the faders work in a linear mixer. Just swapping for even the loveliest rotary pots won’t give that smooth blend all the way through the range that you want from a rotary mixer.
It’ll be a regular, smooth increase of level up to say 7 but then from 7-10 it increases the level at a steeper rate. If that makes any sense?
That makes it difficult to blend the 2 channels smoothly, as you increase channel 1 (through range 7-10) it suddenly shouts and as you decrease channel 2 (again through 7-10) suddenly whispers). That’s the best I can describe it at this time of the morning. :joy: Others here will describe it better and tell you why this is technically.
You do get used to it and can make it work of course, It’d be a good intro into rotary, but i’m now on the hunt for a ‘true’ rotary mixer that behaves ‘lineally?’ and consistently through the range. After all, that is the whole point of the rotary mixer I think.

7 Likes

Excellent description at this time of the morning!

2 Likes

I own a MC Audio Solutions Xone32 with rotary conversion. It was already a great sounding mixer…the pots don’t chance the sound signature…but, they make blending and summing of the tracks much more smooth and nuanced.

9 Likes

It would be really handy to have a list on here (or anywhere, a Google Doc, wherever) saying which mixers have linear channel curves and which have exponential. It doesn’t usually seem to get mentioned in the stats when they’re for sale, but is probably the biggest selling point for me right now.

1 Like

Arrived today!! (Thanks PayPal credit :joy:)
Looks and feels great, sounds even better!

15 Likes

Thing of beauty, enjoy!

1 Like

It would be great to hear how you’re finding this. What were you using before? I’ve got an old Allen and Heath Xone 32, thinking of making a move to rotary, but wondering if the Ecler would be an upgrade or downgrade in terms of sound?

I had my mates xone 23 on loan for a while then got the subzero 2 channel rotary (the omnitronic copy) to try out a rotary mixer which was really great for the price £200 and I thought had a nicer sound than the A & H. The ecler is way nicer in terms of sound quality than both of them- everything is clearer and the bass is warmer/fuller which I like. The build quality is of top quality and the layout makes sense to me as all the dials are where I would want them. The wobbly eqs that i have seen people complain about really isn’t a big deal (I don’t wobble my eqs!) and is only on the eqs and not on the main channel knobs or the isolators which get most of the action.

It has everything I need and space for effects which I would like to get into the future, the sound is to a best I’ve heard from any mixer I e had (had the same monitors for all of them)

8 Likes

this is the most helpful review of the Ecler Warm i’ve seen so far. thank you.

are the channel curves linear or the other one?

2 Likes

Happy to help! Tbh I don’t really know what that means….?

That’s great, thanks very much Henry. Esp helpful as you had the xone 23 before! I’m sorely tempted now…

1 Like

Defo way better than the A & H - unless your addicted to the filter !

I could probably do with weaning myself off the filter tbh :smiley:

1 Like

Replace it with the isolator and feel all sophisticated :joy:

That’s the intention :joy:

LazySimon does a good job of laying out above:

If linear, the world makes sense and the channel fader/knob behaves like this:
1= 10% of max volume.
5= 50% of max volume.
10= max volume.

If exponential, it’s more along the lines of:
1-5= fuck all.
9= 80% of max volume.