Melbourne record shops- where’s good?

Hey TP

I’m gonna be in Melbourne for a few days visiting my wives family etc- hopefully I can sneak off and visit one of the 80?!? (According to vinylhub on Discogs) plus record shops

So where’s good for the disco/left field/Balearic/ ambient record fan? Hoping Japanese stuff is cheaper here in aus than the uk!

Thanks guys!

Licorice Pie and Plug Seven came through with the goods for me, Sure there are loads more too.

1 Like

Best to get hands of local releases i believe.
Northside Records is a good start.

2 Likes

Northside is a great place to start and they have a map of where all the other stores are.

2 Likes

Would suggest Natural Selection and Skydiver also woth checking out. All of above are in Fitzroy/ Collingwood neighbourhoods. Good mate lives there and I’ve done a bit of research in anticipation of a visit which has been discussed for years but shows no sign of materialising. Enjoy.

1 Like

Plug Seven for sure and Daisy

1 Like

@henryallison
Check this handy site (updated June 2022)
:

2 Likes

One thing I did notice is that the local scene is super fertile and there’s a lot in the shops that doesn’t seem to leave the area. Imports cost a fortune as well.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips guys. Here’s my little haul- got some decent Aussie stuff- hot weather 30c+ (sorry England) meant slower bpms! Found a great shop in Hawthorne where we were staying called alley records and then north side, plug seven and hub301

Soo many stores but good to get a tiny sense of what a strong music scene across many genres there is in Auss atm

Next stop Adelaide where there is the one and only transition records! Make life abit easy :joy:

3 Likes

Did you speak to Chris at Northside?

He’s a very interesting character, his radio show on Triple R is fantastic!

1 Like

That Stella record is so good. Every track.

1 Like