London Night Czar - a poisoned chalice or a chocolate teapot?

4 Likes

“Erection Section”.

Probably not a new DJ name.

4 Likes

Agree with a previous point made about the who position being basically a “chocolate bauble”, not sure what powers she has and what she can realistically achieve (could easily apply to anybody who has the word “czar” in their job title). Has been mentioned loads of times before about rising rents and gentrification of areas that were previously nightlife hot spots being a major driver in the decline. The cycle of an area going from a wasteland ripe for a scene to move in, to being hip, to gentrification and then developers moving in and killing it, is getting quicker and quicker. Tottenham Hale being the latest example, gone from really good venues in crumbling industrial buildings, to another area of generic tower blocks in
(seemingly) a few years.
I think austerity plays a big part here as well. Overstretched and underfunded local authorities no longer have the resources to do the necessary checks, both before and after issuing licences to venues, so it is easier to refuse them. Similarly, local police lack resources to control and manage the outside of venues and local streets. As a result, they default to objections. This is probably something that Amy Lame could have more influence over.
In the area of London that i live in (Stoke Newington) I am noticing more gatherings starting to happen in semi legal and illegal venues, this is in the form of house parties that seem to go out of control, and also gatherings in shops, businesses and hairdressers that usually involve soundsystems. These are often in the middle of residential areas and many locals are getting increasingly irritated by them, and are calling the police to deal with the problems that arise. I can see these becoming an increasing problem, and spreading to areas such as parks and canalside land as the spring turns to summer. In does demonstrate though that people are always going to want to go out, and if the legal venues aren’t there anymore, semi legal and illegal alternatives will spring up to service the need.

10 Likes

Manchester’s night time tsar putting his two pennies worth in on Soho

2 Likes

Some data here - doesn’t make great reading - along with some mayoral candidate “sticking plaster” ideas to improve the situation and some criticism of the Czar…