Listening Rooms

Some nice examples here:

1 Like

I got hooked on the Idea to construct myself a soundsystem, but I have to understand exactly how and why a crossover is built

I’ve been lusting after Devon Turnbull’s Ojas speaker kits the last year. His home set up looks amazing.

Bought some Klipsch Heresys in the meantime which are definitely doing the trick for now.

1 Like

How is beyond my capabilities, but the why is relatively simple. Different loudspeakers will have different frequency response. The crossover is a filter that will allow you to send the correct frequencies to the correct type of drivers. You don’t want a sub speaker trying to play hi-hats, neither do you want a tweeter trying to handle Bass. The crossover is what filters the incoming signal and does that separation for you.

Here’s a nice resource if you know your circuits: ESP Projects Pages - DIY Audio and Electronics

1 Like

Thanks for the tip, yea I was trying to get to know more about which crossover to which speaker, I was thinking to even do the crossover myself, but I think it would cost me more than buying one.
But thanks again! one day I’ll make it happen.
I really like what this guy does: https://www.instagram.com/devonojas/?hl=en

1 Like

I haven’t gone much beyond the front page but to me this looks more like an interior design guide than anything that relates to audio.
The images show spaces with polished floors, large glass surfaces (big windows😂) and plain, untextured walls. All these reflective surfaces will be having a huge effect on the sound (it’s said that around 70% of the sound you hear from the speakers is the room itself).
Sound treatments, treating standing waves and reflections is a huge rabbit hole, with a lot of misinformation and snake-oil available. It is science though and the one thing agreed on is that flat shiny surfaces are not helping.
Ultimately though, most people will have to make compromises between what is ideal and what is practical with everyday living.

1 Like

I just put a f$&king record on, innit

3 Likes

a book shelf is a great sound wall, if you can put your speakers against some books or in the book room/library that we all have you are on to a good path. I do agree though, floorboards are great for a dancefloor but for a home listening room it gives me shivers.

1 Like

Rey Audio / Kinoshita showcase installation. Kinda of a dream setup.
Devon make beautiful speakers, and actually has a side instagram called listeningrooms showcasing some beautiful installations from old magazines.