KollektivX - What We Saying?

“offer the unique platform “KollektivX” that allows You to create projects for the joint purchase of physical media that are not available digitally for their subsequent digitization and sale.”

Yes it’s straightforward infringement. And before you try and hit me with some haughty self justification I’ve been a music publisher and music attorney for two decades. I don’t think what you’re doing has ill intent so much as it’s about an over-eager thirst for sharing rare music but your “terms of use” are conspicuously silent about all of the statutorily mandated moneys owed to the master side and songwriting side owners of the copyright.

Perhaps it would be better if you aided the creators of these lost classics in getting their music on legitimate streaming services, signing up for SoundExchange, etc. so that THEY can benefit from your love of their music or alternately say to you “because of the deal I signed with my label or production company I’m not able to grant these rights and also just so you know won’t benefit from this financially anyway” in which case like it or not you owe the same duty of care to those who have acquired the rights (if you can even find them).

I don’t fight with people on the internet and I’m going to assume you just love rare music a lot but there are aspects of this that make it even harder for these artists to finally benefit from the appreciation of their music.

Have a nice day and please don’t @ me back. I have real world shit to deal with and I’m sure you do too. :v:t3:

5 Likes

:bowing_man:t3:‍♂:bowing_man:t3:‍♂:bowing_man:t3:‍♂ simply thank you for your time and thoughts. i don’t have 20 years of experience in publishing or legal as actually none of us, so everything we do is based on what our legal people offered. I forwarded your opinion to them and want for review and hopefully some explanations. thank you for your bizdev model offers too, I never heard of this services but I always wanted to make our platform beneficial to the artists at the first place. have a great day too! :v:t2:

1 Like

My understanding from back in the day when I used to work supporting uk law enforcement and asked a few “hopeful” questions around downloading music is.

You don’t have the right to copy music from a source that you don’t own. So you can’t download a rip of an album you own and claim it’s a copy, you can only take a copy of your own source. So this sounds like a very grey area to me with multiple owners. The main principles of copyright law support the principle that 1 owner can enjoy 1 copy at a time. Based around books as far as I know only 1 person can read a book at a time.

If you sell the source you have to destroy the copy. You can have a copy for backup purposes but if you sell the original then you don’t keep the right to maintain the copy.

All sounds a bit :fish: to me. Find the artist and republish, it supports the artist and gives many people the chance to discover the music.

Most copyright law is way too old to take into consideration even the invention of the internet, and the repercussions that has with regards to the access of creative material like music or movies. That’s the big problem, and a very hard one to solve, which is why I called it a very grey area when something like this shows up. In the end, it will take a specific copyright holder (with a lot of time, patience and money) going after the site to get it into any kind of legal trouble.

This doesn’t even come close to fair use or safe harbor because copies are being made and sold. That’s just plain piracy.

1 Like

Yes, you’re right, I was just pointing out that the days when all you could do was make a cassette tape are long gone, but the laws weren’t updated to that effect. With today’s possibilities of distribution having become so easy and widespread, it’s a complete nightmare for a rights holder to try and cull unwanted/unsanctioned/unremunerated copies of their work. Even worse, it’s very difficult to figure out how that’s be possible.

This guy is full of sh*t….

He crowdfunds records for 2/3 times more what they pay, most of that money is profit split between him and his piracy accomplish who rips/restores the record.

They then sell the record in most cases much higher some times 2/3 times the amount higher than which paid! Making them also sharks who push up the prices on Discogs

For the love of music? You mean For the love of getting free music at the expense of music lovers/DJs
And… the love of making money of the back of actually talented artists, writers/producers etc… who actually put in their talent, time and love for their craft.

Where’s there profit??

This thief needs his platform shut down!!!

This is WRONG!!!