If you could sit in on one album being made - what would it be?

Have you seen this BBC doc on Coltrane?

https://youtu.be/XUVPmfkNbm4

2 Likes

Miles Davis’ ‘In A Silent Way’ - amazing album + mix of musicians + all done in three hours, so plenty of time for a beer afterwards.

5 Likes

Second BAD album for the Strummer and Jones reunion factor.

1 Like

Good shout. A Kind of Blue too - although I think they stretched to nine hours for that. Amazing to nail it in that time!

Ella and Louis Again 1957. I don’t know how it was recorded but the sonics on this are the best on any record I own. Just incredible. The version of Autumn in New York is amazing

1 Like

this is a great documentary. Really well put together.

Dr Dre - 2001. This album is Dre at his sampling best, the lyrics are starting to out date themselves but it is a fine example of Gangster Rap. There is a 70’s Jazz funk sound right next to orchestral bombastic beats.

The The’s Soul Mining, both the abortive new york sessions (i get to follow matt johnson around, not just be stuck in the studio):

Johnson had gone from being unemployed to receiving a rumoured ÂŁ80,000 advance from CBS. With his new-found wealth Johnson was keen to experience what New York had to offer, disappearing from the studio to explore the Lower East Side and take drugs, which left him in an unfit state to record.

And the successful London sessions:

Throughout May 1983 the The held a weekly residence of concerts at the Marquee club in central London, featuring many of Johnson’s musician friends from the British post-punk scene. Johnson used these concerts to decide which musicians he wanted to contribute to the forthcoming the The album. These included Orange Juice drummer Zeke Manyika, do-it-yourself synthesizer pioneer Thomas Leer, and the experimental Australian musician Jim Thirlwell, credited on the album as one of his early aliases “Frank Want”

1 Like

yep, it’s nice but I don’t go too much for the ‘saint’ angle - it’s a bit too much and I wish people wouldn’t try to deify the guy. The cool thing to me is that he was human.

1 Like

Bit of a prick Matt Johnson allegedly. Remember Julian Cope was fairly disparaging about him. Although that’s hardly saying much, Cope rarely had a good word to say about anyone!

100% agree. It was a toss up between the two!

2 Likes

From a muso angle Talk Talk ‘The Colour Of Spring’. Sonically and musically it’s a masterpiece (stating the obvious). From a fly on the wall perspective ‘Yes Please’ one hundred percent. The stories from there are mental.

5 Likes

I love The Colour Of Spring, it gets overlooked a bit by critics who seem to prefer Spirit Of Eden, as for Yes Please, only Factory Records could send a band that they were desperately trying to keep on the straight & narrow to “crack central” as Tony Wilson described it :see_no_evil:
Think i need to read Chris Frantz’s book

1 Like

Probably one of the Can albums with the Damo Suzuki lineup, Ege Bam Yasi, Future Days or Tago Mago. Love the idea of extended jam sessions in a German castle with old soldiers’ mattresses nailed to the walls, I think I read about this in a book, possibly Ocean of Sound, but might have dreamt it!

2 Likes

Maybe Catch a Fire, or something from a 70’s California Laurel Canyon vibe or just go for something Mötley CrĂŒe for shits and giggles. But yeah Catch a fire I recon.

Basically everything that was made at Compass Point. Or as mentioned earlier a Stones/South of France chateau / total rock decadence type vibe would’ve been fun.

For an album that always moves me it would have to be Verve/Northern Soul though.

1 Like

Compass Point absolutely :ok_hand:

4 Likes

for me, probably “ghost in the machine”.

firstly because of AIR montserrat (what a location!) and then on because the musicianship was top notch. also, loads of oberheims and sequentials. finally, how fun would it have been to watch these guys fight?

1 Like

I listen to a lot of different genres but production wise Rhythm & Sound Carrier would be my choice. This is production/mixing/mastering near perfection.