Ibiza Books / History

Someone was looking for Damien Enright’s Dope in the Age of Innocence in the other thread - I thought I’d add a few of my favorites and see if if others had any - thread created distinct from the general books thread if that’s OK -

1. Laurie Lee - I Can’t Stay Long
    Various essays but of interest is “Ibiza High Fifties” Truly great writing and an unforgettable snapshot:
    You got there by a slow boat, full of beatniks and Germans; and unless you were lucky you sat on the engine from which a reek of hot grease, coughed up by the pistons, accompanied the wallowing journey…

2. Nancy Mehagian - Siren’s Feast: An Edible Odyssey
    Hat tip to @Apiento’s piece in TP
    Counterculture adventures and great recipes - lovely book

3. Antonio Escohotado - Mi Ibiza privada
    Only read bits as my Spanish comprehension is derived from Italian & French but writer/philosopher Escohotado was the founder of the original incarnation of Amnesia in the 1970s:
    “I migrated to the island in 1970 and hardly moved from there until 1984, when an alliance of thugs and police suggested I beat a retreat. Since I made it through that, I have spent years passing much of September in a pleasant hotel in Salinas, which keeps me from losing too much contact with my adoptive homeland.

Shout out also to Martin Davies learned review of Stephen Armstrong’s White Island on liveibiza.com which set me on the path…

And if anyone has a spare Paula’s monograph… DMs welcomed. :wink:

6 Likes

Old and quite difficult to get hold of but copies can be found on eBay.

2 Likes

1993 account of a Brits experience living in rural Ibiza, worth seeking out…

1 Like

Audio interview with Damien Enright, author of ‘Dope in the Age of Innocence’

2 Likes

Haven’t read this myself yet, it’s been on my want list for years. I hear its a good read

4 Likes

Thanks for the reminder. Just purchased!

1 Like

Just found a copy on Ebay for £2 - will report back asap :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is well worth a look, probably more suited in another thread but I’ll leave it here. Irish TV channel done show years ago.
https://youtu.be/Lbl7QtHAMz8

1 Like

Has a very large picture section, for when you’re browsing book racks in Amsterdam. Using nothing but a paintbrush and Dutch bluff, Jan Cremer is the only short-haired expat on the island, bedding the likes of Nico (Velvet Underground) and various other hippie chicks.
51dE8EoHr7L.SX354_BO1,204,203,200

1 Like

This looks fabulous—just snagged a copy, thanks for the tip. X

Some balearic fairy must have heard my wish as I managed to snag a copy of the Paula’s monograph from the lovely folks at Idea. Not at all cheap, but, well, it was my birthday after all

1 Like