Hip-Hop albums

This one is incredible too, up there with the best.
Starts off with a track about a two legged police dog, these guys were out there!

3 Likes

If we’re talking proper albums then the first three P.E. albums have to go in there, same would be said for EPMDs ‘Strictly Business’ and ‘Unfinished Business’. For that highly creative golden era The Pharcyde, Black Moon, Lords of the Underground, GangStarr, Jeru, Group Home all have masterpieces. Then there’s 36 Chambers and those first Wu solo albums; ‘Tical’, ‘Return to the 36 Chambers’, ‘Liquid Swords’, ‘Only Built 4 Cuban Linx’ and ‘Ironman’.

BUT top o’ the list has to be:

6 Likes

One of the best emcee’s on the planet at that point + The Bomb Squad =

https://youtu.be/8zK6eHWqjtw

The title track stills sounds fantastic.

5 Likes

You’re right. Those first three solo albums are so powerful.

2 Likes

Another complete bundle

2 Likes

Nice mate! That Majesticons send me back to our Saturday record digging days.

Another one from post 2000

2 Likes

Favourite 80s albums for me: Yo Bum Rush The Show, It Takes A Nation Of Millions, By All Means Necessary, Criminal Minded, Radio, Bigger And Deffer, Saturday Night, License To Ill, Paid In Full, Raising Hell, Follow The Leader, Strictly Business, Three Feet High & Rising, Straight Outta Compton.

that Dwight Spitz album is crazy.

Yeah, Midnight Marauders is a very special album, my copy is totally screwed as its one I DJed out with for years! So many incredible tracks, my favourite Tribe album for sure. Award Tour is and always was my favourite track on it.

1 Like

Forgot about Count Bass D! Didn’t you get photographed at the Majesticons gig for the best dressed male feature in one of the music mags? :rofl:

Cannae remember mate!? Ha! Where was the gig?

Somewhere small in shoreditch or brick lane. Can’t remember the venue. Giles and Marcus went as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr6Q730gB24

Massively underrated album from 2001

2 Likes
3 Likes

No Madvillian? Was there a pre 2000 rule or something?

2 Likes

Operation Doomsday for me. It’s a perfect lp. The rhymes are brilliant, hilarious and slightly mysterious, the music is fucking wicked, and it retains a real sense of fun that harks back to the mid to late 80s without sounding pastiche.
I think loads of hip hop albums suffer from being too long, too much filler. Look at illmatic, a shade under 40 mins, no fucking about, widely considered the best hip hop record ever.
I realise the irony in my favourite hip hop record being an hour long btw :shushing_face:

https://youtu.be/OHf6G-kHuk0

4 Likes

I totally agree with lots of albums being far too long, 40/45 mins, 10 tracks is all you need, cut out the fat, no unfunny ‘skits’.
That’s the problem with Outkast albums, 2nd Wu Tang LP etc etc, far too indulgent

Probably a very unpopular opinion but I prefer It Was Written to Illmatic

[quote=“bellio, post:56, topic:1928”]
Was there a pre 2000 rule or something?
[/quote]==

No, no rules, contributors were invited to choose 20 Rap albums, 63 of us took part and yeah its pre-2000 heavy (exclusive). My Top 20 had some post-2000 albums but they didn’t get enough votes to make it into the Top 100.
If we re-ran the exercise today Im guessing more post 2000-albums would make an appearance as they would have had time to marinate and become favourites/classics, Im sure Madvillian would be one that would make it into the top 100 if we did it again.

yeah that’s not a widely held position, personally Ive never been that fond of It Was Written but I played it recently and its certainly a stronger album than I’ve given it credit for in the past.
As for Illmatic, I dont rate that as nearly as highly as many folk do, I can see its a work of art but there are so many other albums I enjoy more, it might make it into my top 50 favorite albums as a push.