Going digital

Would be interested in this. There’s a few tunes I would like to try to reissue and have no idea where to start. Could really use some help to get going :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here’s why I recommend Pioneer DJ stuff: it’s what you’ll find out there in the clubs.

So yes on Rekordbox, and IMO XDJ-700’s will do you fine, especially because you can use whatever mixer you want with those. Never dug the full fledged controllers because they force you to use their “mixers”…

1 Like

So 2x CDJ-700’s are ok? Looks like two of them are about the cost of a CDJ-900.

Is it worth just stumping for the full thing when I wouldn’t need the CD function, what else do you lose?

Unless you’re getting the top end CDJs then I prefer these XDJs to other decks/controllers. Similar touch screen and workflow to the top Pioneers and sound quality for ££ is good imo. And you learn to use Rekordbox which is industry standard. It’s just very obvious that it’s made of plastic and is pretty lightweight as a version. Pleased they spent the budget on the inside / tech and kept it basic looking on outside though.

1 Like

I’m also interested in this area as I slowly go more and more digital. Never used CD’s and my last set up was two turntables and Ableton on a laptop, using the tempo control as a pitch fader. Now only one 1210, a mixer and laptop, but definitely miss the hands on feel.

Where do you buy music from? Bandcamp exclusively or are there other stores? Juno download?

Yep Juno, Boomkat and even the dreaded Beatport with it’s hilarious out of sorts genres occasionally. Only for producers I know or you will end up listening to the worst of the worst.

Traxsource is good alternative to Beatport, they often have 20% off email deals so worth subscribing, even had 30% off during height of lockdown.

I atually forgot about Traxsource. Used them during the CDJ days. Are they still heavily leant towards soulful house?

I just had shivers remembering burning CD’s.

1 Like

Not as much as they were, commercial, but nowhere near as cheesy as BP.

1 Like

I sometimes buy from 7digital for more mainstream label stuff

Anyone recommend an alternative to Traktor Scratch after I moved over from Serato, who didn’t update their drivers for the new OS.

Find it the absolute worst. Shite. Can’t use it for gigs as it’s too unreliable.

Still want to use digi-vinyl so any suggestions appreciated.

Ever try Rekordbox?

i really don’t want to be that guy, but is pioneer fuckin’ serious with the price point on these CDJ-3000’s?

i’ll be the first to admit that i’m out of the loop, but i ran a “dj super store” for 10 years and remember the introduction of the earliest CDJ models and the relatively slow ramp up from “usable” to “somewhat decent turntable emulation”. and now they retail for over $2k per and don’t actually even play CD’s anymore?

(old man yells at cloud)

edit - let me guess, the new versions are cake-proof and you can actually stand on them

4 Likes

I downloaded the software but never used.

Can I use the hardware from Traktor or do I have to start again?

Pioneer prefers their hardware but if what you have is midi mappable it will probably work.

I thought introducing them at the height of the pandemic, when most folk were in lockdown and unable to gig/earn money, was a nice touch too…

1 Like

They have actually just raised the price of one of their best DJ controllers by nearly £500! I guess they will blame covid and brexit and lack of partszzzzz.

1 Like

I’ve just sold my Traktor controller and bought a Denon Prime Go, does everything I need and is battery powered so can use it anywhere around the house, no computer needed either.

1 Like

Has anyone figured out a way to download an individual track from your purchases in Bandcamp? Or can you only download whole releases? Seems like an obvious things you’d want to do if you have bought a compilation and you want to download a tune in order to add to Rekordbox.