First single and / or album and what it says about you

Seeing the sun come up as Christmas in Blobbyland wafts over the speakers would be almost too beautiful for words.

1 Like

First single: The Proclaimers - “I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles)”
First album: Counting Crows - “August and Everything After”

1 Like

I wish there had been a noughties cover, DUBSTEP DUBSTEP DUBSTEP DUBSTEP

7- elvis costello ‘oliver’s army
LP - would have been one of those k-tel top of the pops things

vangelis ‘chariots of fire’ on 45. I just liked the melody and practised it to death on a tinny keyboard. wasn’t till years later that I got into bladerunner and the cooler stuff

psb ‘please’ cassette 85, for the singles. those first 3 albums were amazing. increasingly into electronic/melancholy pop thereafter

first thing I liked in my parents records was the jan & dean batman soundtrack… I just couldn’t get my head round them owning it :grin:

Single XTC ‘Sgt Rock’ (top record but I think I bought it cause it had a cartoon on the cover).

Album Rush ‘Moving Signals’. Bought due to older brother playing stuff like this.

Both bought from WH Smith in Orpington. I can still picture that record dept pretty clearly.

Single : Abba - Money Money Money
Album: ELO - Discovery

ha! Just this second finished watching Predator with my lad. In the final credits a character is shown reading a comic ‘Sgt Rock’. i think to myself ‘i bet that’s where XTC got the name of that song from’, 2 minutes later read your post. i love life’s little synchronicities😀

1 Like

Ha. They make the world go round. :earth_asia:

Sngle I don’t remember but album https://www.discogs.com/Padre-Abraham-Padre-Abraham-En-El-País-De-Los-Pitufos/release/5153579?ev=rr

https://youtu.be/f4I30LZJ4AY

I always thought it was something more embarrassing like American Idiot. But I recently remembered it was the first Gorillaz album. I bought it with a Whitcolls voucher from my nan.

The first music I ever bought was on iTunes. :expressionless:

2 Likes

giphy

6 Likes

Damn ageism on here wow…

2 Likes

@drunkendrums All done in jest.

Happy to remove if I’ve genuinely caused offence.

2 Likes

First album was Kylie - Kylie on cassette for my 8th birthday. The stereo, which was one of those top loading tape / turntable / radio “music centres” chewed it up on the first play.

First single was Me & Mrs Jones by Billy Paul on 7” which I found at a car boot with my dad. This makes me miss car boot sales.

3 Likes

Haha it’s cool, I learn so much from the collectors, DJs, clubbers before me

1 Like

Doug E Fresh & The Get Fresh Crew - The Show. The fact my dad called Doug drove me to W.H. Smith to get it makes it all the more special.

4 Likes

Borderline by Madonna on 7" from GT News in Chapletown (Sheffield)

Top tune

4 Likes

Think my first purchase might have been The Bart Man, and probably a Now compilation.

Would mainly listen to my older bro and sis tapes before that, they had one of these

2 Likes