Favourite Red Zone remixes?

Let’s be honest big beat didn’t really make the cut when it came to music that still stands but the early days (say Dust Bros and the stuff they were pulling from) was pretty great. It just got man handled (literally - don’t remember there being many women in big beat) into something not very good.

1 Like

Indeed. He may well have bought it from me at Eastern Bloc

1 Like

This was a biggie

https://youtu.be/nn1vWY_HAec

4 Likes

I have to look for that to buy now. Wow.

1 Like

Another killer

I tend to agree. Lived in Brighton mid-90s in the eye of the big beat storm. Not much has stood the test of time.
Ed’s West Norwood crew so always have a soft spot for the Dust/Chems.

Great thread. Just got that beyond brothers for 99p :sunglasses:

3 Likes

What a great thread, was trying to find some other Red Zone mixes
the other day after finding this

6 Likes

can someone, with more of these than I have, record a Red Zone mix please?

Makes sense, that was the influence for mmm skyscraper I love you.

What’s the difference between a Def Mix and a Red Zone Mix? Does anyone know the history of how each name was adopted? Was there a club named Red Zone or something like that? Are they different periods or with different engineers?

Oh I’ve had a google, haha. Was being lazy earlier. Found some info on Def Mix.

1 Like

Got to have some Sheena

4 Likes

Red Zone was one of the most important clubs in the city for a couple of years. A wild and dangerous place and very “urban” to use the coded racial faux-polite term of the time. I wish I could get the kids (now old men) who gave me my start in clubland to come on here and describe what an insane scene it was, but I don’t think they really do forums. There are a couple posters on here who almost certainly went there. My crew did Zone at Red Zone, Puffy did Daddy’s House, Morales held it down for the dance music crowd and played a way more ‘aggressive’ mixture of sounds than what you’d think of as Def Mix stuff. It was very banjee- lots of breakbeat based dance music lots of dancehall. Everything that’s represented in this thread. Someone needs to get Bruce Tantum in here he can do a better job than me. I started going out right after the Red Zone / Homebase / Sticky Mikes period. I was more of a Palladium / USA / Tunnel / Vinyl guy.

(A Zone at Red Zone flyer big up ACharles aka Zone TCT)

10 Likes

I’ll ask @brucelabruce to give us the lowdown… He’s just lost in a piece right now…

2 Likes

I’ll try and send a few of my faves over tonight, space-time continuum willing

3 Likes

Love this one! So good…

So many great Red Zone mixes, house doesn’t get much better as far as I’m concerned. Always thought it’d make a good subject for those ‘producer series’ mixes you used to have on here Paul…

Anyway, Clive Griffin and Starpoint for me , special mention for Shabba Ranks :+1:

2 Likes

@howler

this!!! Always went for their ‘tougher’ mixes so this one for me…

1 Like

Ah yes. I was thinking it’d be good to do some new ones of those. We’d sort of done many of our personal favourites. Maybe it’s an excuse to spend 50£ on Red Zone remixes : )

2 Likes