Favourite Compilation Series

My copy of this fell apart many moons ago. The follow up was good but not a classic like this was

Despite the Mixmag connection this had some great stuff on it

The first Yoshiesque was ace too

And of course not forgetting this.

9 Likes

JDJ were pivotal for me growing up. Particularly theseā€¦

11 Likes

there is actually a dedicated YouTube channel to all those mixmag and muzik CDs (if you can get past all the hard house bosh)

https://www.youtube.com/@CoverCDs

2 Likes

Of course JDJ also the greatest cover tape of all time (in my opinion :slight_smile: )

4 Likes

Did you miss number 3? Was released in 2021. Not as good as the originals, but hits the same feeling

1 Like

Loved the first three Eskimo comps:

7 Likes

Itā€™s good it has one of those non-stop mixes, I prefer those to the ones that stop

those BBE beats n pieces comps really hit me, as a 20yr old in new Zealand they put me on to so much stuff

7 Likes

itā€™s on my wantlist!

Glimmer Twins Club Culture. Came out when electro clash was becoming a thing but checking the track list now its pretty balearic

5 Likes

i am not a reggae guy. i love dub and i love some classics and some digi-dancehall here and there, but itā€™s a sort of major blind spot for me and thatā€™s fine, i canā€™t be a mile deep in everything.

the dynamite series certainly helped me out. i wasnā€™t going to be buying a load of singles - thanks to the soul jazz label for keeping me on a promo list for as long as they did.

6 Likes

Warpā€™s Artificial intelligence probably goes without saying, with Polygon Window being the favourite.

ā€˜Beats and Piecesā€™, ā€˜Strange Games and Funky thingsā€™, and ā€˜Stop and Listenā€™ on BBE introduced me to so much good music and changed my listening taste for ever.

DJ kicks, Thievery Corporation, and K&D were essential (see if you can locate the bootlegs of K&D vols2,3 &4 if you want a further treat)

Global Underground, Tenaglia and Emerson

7 Likes

The early oneā€™s of these were decent. Captured that early 90s house vibe perfectly

4 Likes

I LOVE this one - especially the 90s RnB-dancehall-mix by Troubleman on disc 2 that finishes up with EW&F and Phil Collins.

1 Like

Bill Brewsters Sources comps. Treasure trove for 80ā€™s US music.

1 Like

the rebirth of coolā€¦ all of them, but this is a personal favourite

gilles pā€™s worldwide series was strong

the React series was always a buy on sight for me, many great artists/tunes discovered

and theseā€¦

especially CJ Mackintoshā€™s Rulin mix where he mixes Martha Wash - Carry On (Teeā€™s Freeze) into Iā€™ll Be Your Friend (Def Club) into Pennies From Heaven (Tunnel Mix)ā€¦ i mean, tingles?! :joy:

3 Likes

the New Electronica series, especially these ones:

5 Likes

The Soundcolors mix series from Xtreme records - three by Phil Mison & the final one by Moonboots - I dig these out when the temperature starts to go up. Sweet summer sounds.

7 Likes

Always come back to GPā€™s INCredible comp.

10 Likes

Skin up mate

5 Likes