ECM Records Recommendations

ECM is a label which I love, but it feels a bit daunting knowing where to start as there is so much of it. I already have the records listed below, does anyone have any recommendations of anything else particularly special on the label?

John Surman - Private City
John Surman - Upon Reflection
Stephan Micus - Wings Over Water (Not strictly ECM but ECM related)
Pat Metheny & Lyle Mays - As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls
Pat Metheny Group - Offramp
Codona ‎– Codona
Keith Jarrett ‎– The Köln Concert

4 Likes

Really too much to recommend, but here are a few artists whose work I’d advise you to check out on the label, other than the ones you already mentioned. The fun thing is to just jump in and listen. In time you’ll recognize a lot of familiar names and that will make it easier to go after more and more stuff.

Ralph Towner
Tomazs Stanko
Bobo Stenson
Anouar Brahem
Eberhard Weber
Marcin Wasilewski Trio
Enrico Rava
Stefano Bollani

That’s a good start. Plenty of others.

4 Likes

Thank you @MGG

1 Like

Oops forgot to say Charles Lloyd who made some truly beautiful records on the label.

Also, John Abercrombie, and Mick Goodrick’s one and only record on the label which is phenomenal. Anything Bill Frisell recorded for them is great too. Equally so Jakob Bro. Ditto for Paul Motian, Paul Bley and Masabumi Kikuchi. Another one whose records I like a lot is Louis Sclavis, especially the Atlas Trio. Carla Bley made several fantastic records for ECM, and continues to do so. Bass player Arild Andersen too, especially his trio with Greek pianist Vassilis Tsabropoulos and drummer John Marshall. Kenny Wheeler is worth a listen as well. If you like crazy guitar music make sure to check out Terje Rypdal. Another interesting nordic musician on the label is pianist Ketil Bjornstad. German pianist Julia Hulsmann is fantastic, her trio and quartet records are great. Wolfert Brederode made some interesting records on the label.

As I said the list is endless…

2 Likes

This is truly what this forum is built for. That’s my work playlist sorted for the next few weeks!

3 Likes

Here are a few live videos of seminal ECM bands:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9VTDesWiN8

2 Likes

after ignoring ECM records for years, i’ve decided to dive in - so this thread is HELPFUL!

i have an older cousin who, while very nice, was decidedly uncool for years. he was a big pat metheny/lyle mays fan. i now realize that IT WAS I who was decidedly uncool.

that same cousin has recently put together a modular and is actually making some pretty good lil’ jams so once again, i must determine that yep, i was a snob.

5 Likes

I’ve only got a few on this label but this one is surely worth a mention:

3 Likes

I saw a performance of this at the Barbican in the early 2000s, if I remember correctly it was part of Steve Reich’s 60 birthday celebrations and he was there himself with signiature cap. To see it performed live was incredible, getting shivers just thinking about it!

4 Likes

Recently discovered this. Highly recommended.

2 Likes

thinking of:
John Abercrombie : Timeless
Julian Priester : Love, Love
Pat Metheny Group : Travels
Eberhard Weber : The Following Morning
Collin Walcott : Grazing Dreams
Egberto Gismonti : Dança Das Cabeças
Kenny Wheeler : The Widow in The Window
Paul Motian Band : Psalm
and so many more…

4 Likes

This gets quite a bit of play around here. Sadly not so cheap or available anymore. Uploaded to SC here: Jon Hassell (2009) Last Night the Moon Came Dropping Its Clothes in the Street. by Andrew Kiryan | Free Listening on SoundCloud

2 Likes

Link his music. I love a modular jam. : )

1 Like

Maybe his most underrated album. Very great for early mornings.

1 Like

I can’t believe how expensive this has gotten. When I lived in Boston (OK, 10 years ago) this was pretty much in every used CD shop for 10 bucks or less, along with others. It deserves to be valued, great album.

2 Likes

AND… I’ve just realised I posted this in the wrong thread as well, so apologies to those looking for ECM recs ; )

1 Like

Canavarro’s Plux Quba is one of the few rare albums that actually stands up to repeated listening after the novelty of acquisition fades. I’m eager to spend time with Mr. Wollogallu and see if it does the same.

1 Like

Plux Quba is fantastic, was happy to grab the Drag City reissue when it was released.
It appears that the Mr. Wollogallu reissue could do with a repress as well.

AND… I’ve just realised I posted this in the wrong thread as well, so apologies to those looking for ECM recs ; )

1 Like

No problem, great music is great music wherever it’s posted!

2 Likes

A few of my ECM favorites:

John Surman - ‘Upon Reflection’
Eberhard Weber - ‘Fluid Rustle’
Julian Priester - ‘Love, Love’

and:

3 Likes