DIY / Outsider Music

I think this makes sense in here. Very personal to me, it’s the second release on the micro label I started this year, Mono Disco, and also the featured artist is my dad, John Boyle.

Radio Logical: DIY Pop & Outsider Grooves 1980–81

Limited edition LP on clear vinyl w/ bonus art print, out now on Bandcamp.

The majority of this material was recorded in my childhood home when I was aged 4–6. During this period John had converted the loft room of our house into a rehearsal space and studio with a Revox tape machine and later a Portastudio at its heart. For a while there was a full drum kit up there, other gear included a Grampian spring reverb and an EDP Wasp.

Initially John was rehearsing and recording with a four-piece band The Beachy Heads, but over time the focus shifted to experimental studio tape compositions, collaborating with various members of the band, along with musician and artist William Longden (responsible for all the LP artwork).

Key influences were Talking Heads, dub reggae and XTC. Pop, but with an experimental DIY/outsider edge.

This retrospective compilation gathers together a selection of recordings from John’s archive, previously released only on small private runs of cassettes.

Thanks for listening!

11 Likes