Distinguishing marks

I’ve bought loads of records lately that were marked down because a previous owner had scrawled on them or whatever. The thing is, I love marks that show records have been on a journey or remind me where they’re from (I never take price stickers off).
Just me?

2 Likes

Easiest way to save big on otherwise pricy items. If the media is marked mint I’ll cop it in a heartbeat. This is also how a friend wound up with a mint Wailers record with the entire back cover decorated by Lee Scratch Perry marked down for “some writing on cover” :exploding_head:

11 Likes

9 Likes

That’s Timmy Regisford’s handwriting and seal of approval on his old copy of this Kerri Chandler classic which is now mine.

11 Likes

Good lord! Holy grail level.

2 Likes

Still, no-one else has Paul McCartney’s personal copy of Francine McGee, must be worth a fortune.

4 Likes

Hahaha :+1:

1 Like

I picked up a promo of Water Ride by 16B in a random second hand shop £1 bin with “To Alfredo from Omid” written in marker on the sleeve.

3 Likes

I found a record where on the back of the jacket the previous owner had kept a record of how many minuite their clock had lost every year, and they kept a record for years it was something like this:

1971: lost 2 minutes
1972: lost 2 minutes 30 seconds
1973: Lost 1 minute

and so on.

9 Likes

I have no idea who Bob is and I dont know what kind of purity spiral he went down for this 100% rap record to be considered “rap kind of”

10 Likes

I used to own Junior Vasquez copy of Tainted Love by Gloria Jones on AVI Records but I sold it. I have a few records that used to be owned by Phil Manzanera too which he dropped off at a local record shop 20 years ago, and which the owner slowly brings out of his storage unit. Mostly New Wave stuff.

5 Likes

I also sold a copy of The Hypnotist - Sisterlove to Jose Padilla on discogs about five years ago, which is weird because it is a track that was on his first Cafe Del Mar comp!

8 Likes

Picked up a couple LPs over the years with very flat, very dead spiders in the sleeves… Also had a techno 12 from a car boot sale which came with a nice freebie in the form of a baggy of white powder stuck to the record, was just a few crumbs though and I had to practically crack it off the record.

The nicest one I have is a Francoise Hardy 7” I bought in Mallorca from a flea market about a decade ago. On the back of the sleeve is a pencilled message in Spanish that roughly translates to “To Mateo, thank you for being my friend on holiday, please visit me in France, love from Nanou” and dated 1964. Mateo had also written his full name on the top of the sleeve which I searched on Facebook and sure enough, found one match in Mallorca. Despite a few messages over the years he has yet to reply, which is a shame as would love to know if it is indeed him and reunite him with it if so!

9 Likes

This Instagram account has many fascinating stories…

@thingsifoundinrecords

3 Likes

EQ pointers on Shit Robot- Simple Things (Terje mix)

9 Likes

i do NOT want to hear that track with those eq settings. SHRILL!

1 Like

7 Likes

15 Likes

On a David Morley record, 1st one on Apollo

14 Likes