Delay/Echo unit for DJing

Anyone who’s mixer doesn’t have delay/echo but likes to throw in a bit of delay/echo, what outboard bit of gear do you use?

I tried with a Boss DD-7 a couple of years ago but didn’t have much joy (I think the input to the pedal was too quiet from the mixer maybe).

TEIL1 keinedelay? Although it looks like it might be out of production or at least on hold.

Source Audio Nemesis?

Or is the only answer to spend the money on something Strymon or an Erica Zen Delay?

1 Like

The Boss re-20 is on my shopping list and to be honest I haven’t really considered anything else. I do have a search saved on Ebay for a Vermona Deg 500 more out of curiosity then anything, its a digital delay rack and comes in an 80’s style briefcase. Can’t say much about the sound though.

I’m sure the Erica you mentioned is good and does the job based on reviews. Its also twice the price as the discontinued Boss.

2 Likes

I use my Roland SP404 mkii for external fix with my Rane MP2015.

1 Like

Thanks friands, will look into these. Probably realistically not going to splash on an sp404 though (my sample-based delusions are facilitated by a model:samples).

Going to investigate Benidub also.

Been looking at one of these for the longest time. (Bought a couple of Behringer peddles but sent them back as they were utter shite. )

Just can’t afford one at the minute, but was going to use this and an old Akai sampler as a dub siren/tape echo combo. I’ve created it in software to scratch the itch for the time being.

1 Like

It might be a little more top end than you are looking for but I hear the Mastersounds FX unit is very nice

1 Like

Or this has just come out, looks pretty fun.

Pretty spendy though.

1 Like

would love 2 warble

ah ok just discovered this thread via my old mate Google. sorry for doubling up everyone

1 Like

Echo’y business from said mixtape thing.

1 Like

Might want to look at the Pioneer DJ EFX 500 or 1000. I know DJ Sprinkles uses(ed) these a lot in their DJ sets for different effects, delay included.

1 Like

I have a Strymon El Capistan. Its nice but not what i thought i wanted once i started using it with my MS Radius. Non BPM locked delay is annoying (i thought i could manage with tap tempo) and i cant get the ubiquitous 3/4 echo that is in practice the only echo worth a damn. If i had to do it all over again, i’d just get an efx or rmx from pioneer. Hopefully they bring out an updated model soon…

1 Like

I have recently got one of these

It takes a little getting used to. Very, very different to the super-tight responsive Pioneer fx. But definitely much more interesting.

2 Likes

RMX500 looks handy too

Yeah these are incredibly appealing!

Anyone used one of these ?? Only £25! Plus cables but a very affordable way to try out fx pedals

Also looking at the Beringer digital delay pedal but I don’t think you can buy those new anymore

1 Like

Tried the Behringer ones, sent them back as they were awful.

Yeh seen mixed reviews - my mate who’s a dub/reggae dj rated them

1 Like