Classical music: what's good and interesting?

I’m a big fan of Jacqueline du Pre and must have about 10 or so of her LPs. A range of composers obviously but her playing is just sublime and I can listen to her play all day. I have a chunk of classical in my record collection though I wouldn’t pretend to know the first thing about it beyond what I like (solo cellists or solo violinists in general, I also have lots of Pablo Casals - if you like Arthur Russell you may like?)

2 Likes

An old colleague told me her boyfriend basically lived by buying classical LPs from boot fairs and selling them for :moneybag:

1 Like
2 Likes

My day job is working as the designer/digital content coordinator for a Classical and Jazz radio station. I’m not in any way a classical music aficionado, nor do I tend to listen to a lot of it, however, I like to think I know a good tune when I hear one! haha.

Here is a link to all the Spotify playlists I have created for the station that blend Classical and Jazz with a smattering of World music.

Interesting to note, that these playlists have caused some ire amongst certain ancient relics that inhabit the station, as “it doesn’t reflect what we play on the air”. This was my whole point - there are loads of contemporary and Modern Classical composers making amazing music that the listenres might be delighted to hear. So fuck you, Keith.

4 Likes

Bizarrely two classical tunes came on after each other when I pressed shuffle this morning on my Sunday morning dog walk.

This is achingly beautiful and (I read) the record that AW had at his funeral.

The second was Reinhard Vanbergen on Music for Dreams:

Another one I own is A Winged Victory for the Sullen - Requiem for the Static King pt.2 which I’m pretty sure I Shazammed of Eastbound & Down :blush:

Actually, some of those are more ‘ambient classical’ but don’t let that put you off.

Equally as beautiful is this:

My all time favourite album.

2 Likes

I’ve got quite a lot of classical and modern classical LPs and CDs.

I think probably fairly well known but still an incredibly moving piece of music.

I have maybe 10 Jacqueline Du Pre albums and this is my favourite performance.

One of my favourite pieces of music ever

All completely personal in terms of the definitions of “good” and “interesting” - but here are a few pieces that bring enormous pleasure.

The vastly underrated Imogen Holst:

IMHO, a beautiful piece composed by the wonderful Graham Fitkin, and performed exquisitely by Lara James:

The ever-bracing Brodsky Quartet:

A sublime connection between music and nature by the amazing Anna Clyne and Yo-Yo Ma:

And finally, one of Judith Weir’s many splendid works:

Hope they’re of some interest.

4 Likes

This is great! Thanks. I love this Graham Fitkin piece, I’ve never heard of him before. Absolutely gorgeous.

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:

Graham Fitkin’s first recorded work (I think) was on Factory Classical: Graham Fitkin - Flak | Releases | Discogs (and the title track is fantastic in its - quite different - energy)

Also, IMHO, this 1994 album is also worth a listen: Graham Fitkin - Hard Fairy | Releases | Discogs

Hope you enjoy.

Thanks, I’ll investigate :+1:

I do like a bit of Wim Martens :+1:

1 Like

Hopefully this joyous piece fits the criterion of “interesting”…

…this is feels “good”…

…and this is, IMHO, beautiful…

Reminds me of that python sketch.

“…and we move on to the next part of our programme… the ‘Sonatina in E Sharp’ played by Pablo Casals during his 400 foot plunge into a bucket of boiling fat”.

3 Likes

This always gets me right in the feels. Neck hair standing right up.

2 Likes

The Rest Is Noise: Listening to the Twentieth Century

This has been on my shelf for a few years. After reading this thread might finally start it.
Hoping it was might give some pointers for a classical philistine.

1 Like
3 Likes

https://boomkat.com/products/etudes-du-metal-ortolan

Andy Votel has just released a weirdo classical mixtape

1 Like

Here’s something a bit different.

A million miles away from his usual trademark stuff……

2 Likes