Claremont 56 - appreciation thread

I saw them play in an Islington pub many moons ago, cracking live band.

love the label, it’s been my soundtrack to lockdown.
highlights being
alumnia - new moon
Hear & Now ‎– Aurora Baleare (desperate for a repress of this, would love a vinyl copy)
smith and mudd - blue river

Discovered so many great tracks through those Originals cd’s too. The mark seven one being a standout.

Can see that there’s pre-orders for Alumnia‎– Pulsar repress, in case anyone missed it the first time.

2 Likes

Oh yes, should also add their £3 membership per month takes a fiver off each vinyl purchase so you are on to a winner there whilst supporting a label which keeps on giving. I really think this is the way forward with helping labels to keep going, healthy support and capitalism in the right way and it reinvests the money back in to making/recording/selling music back to the supporter. A no brainer really.

4 Likes

So many good track on the label, Almunia - New Moon always seemed very special to me.

And whilst I think of it on their sister label Leng head honcho Mudd’s / 54B (Ray Mang Mix) was actually one of the tracks that got me into this whole scene, love that one so much.

4 Likes

A couple of other favourites

First heard this when Paul played an amazing beach side set at Electric Elephant in 2008, just sounded perfect

7 Likes

Paul is such a mensch–never met in person, but interactions over e-mail etc the love just shows through. The Bison album, Smith & Mudd - “Gorthleck”, and that amazing Hear & Now album from last year are highlights among so many…and the Originals CDs!.

1 Like

Here’s some pics from a great afternoon in 2008 when Paul “Mudd” came by my mate’s Beard-B-Q party in a suburban Sydney backyard and played some tunes alongside me and some mates, including Regal from Wiseguys/Bronx Dogs. Gotta love an Aussie summer shindig.

1934184_25025053592_468_n
1934184_25025063592_1319_n 1934184_25025058592_888_n 1934184_25024083592_5400_n 1934184_25025048592_7_n

5 Likes

Love the whole catalogue. Can really recommend playing the album Le Suviant by Smith & Mudd when sitting with friends around a campfire in the woods at night.

Peace

2 Likes

Was at that too, fantastic party and incredible label

1 Like

yes! all C56 output is ace and of consistently high quality. New Leo Almunia album is also sounded particularly mint:

1 Like

totally class label, i try and buy em’ all. i’d like to take advantage of the subscription, but the shipping costs are insane, and it’s easier for me to buy them from west coast shops/distros.

but yeah C56, leng - just terrific. wonder if there’s gonna be any more sixty-five re-edits?

2 Likes

a few favorites from c56

1 Like

Gorthleck is a peach of an album.

1 Like

Some of my favorites:

As mentioned, the whole Gorthleck album is fantastic.

Wonderful label!

2 Likes

Claremont 56 is probably they only label these days that I could buy any release without hearing it first, and know that I would still be listening to the music in 10 years time. Music done right.

2 Likes

Just got the new Hillside LP. Since I already love the spacey jazz-funk sound from the 70s, this album really hit for me. Definitely a bit unique for the label to incorporate so much of this 70s jazz funk / r&b sound, but I think it works well. It reminds me of one of my favorite playlists i’ve created on Spotify:

Featuring songs by the Floaters, Ronnie Foster, Blackbyrds, Bobbi Humphry, Latimore, Delegation, Tyrone Davis and more.

3 Likes

I try not to spam my stuff on here too much but here’s something I really enjoyed putting together, featuring Mark Warrington the unbelievably gifted artist behind the Claremont 56 record sleeves

10 Likes

Bought two art works from Mark, really happy with them =).

2 Likes

I always loved seeing Mark and Emily at Low Life and other nights, both great people. Brilliant to see Mark doing well (is he on here?)

1 Like

Been a fave label of mine for long time, from 2010ish. Too many good tracks and albums to mention but this has and always will be a big fave…

6 Likes