Chicago City

Hello everyone

I will be one week in Chicago city, any recommendations like record shops, restaurants, shopping, bars, craft beer, etc…

thanks
Javi

Ooof, where to start. It’s a fantastic city, very neighborhood based and loads to see, do and eat.

For records here are some.

Gramophone Records - top tip before you go, check their Discogs as all of those records are in the back and they’ll gladly grab them for you.

606 Records - they get all the new releases and prices are fair.

Dusty Groove - lots of great second hand records particularly with world, jazz and soul.

Reckless - any of their locations do the trick. There’s always something at Reckless.

Out of The Past - there’s a lot to get through so plan accordingly.

There is a lot of food in Chicago. It’s a real foodie town and the variety is fantastic.

Here are some that I like.

Girl & The Goat, HaiSous, Warlord, Superkhana, The Loyalist, Shanghai Terrace, Immm and, honestly just about everywhere. Don’t eat deep dish unless you have literally nothing to do later.

Bars a Gus’ Sip & Dip, Kimiko, Skylark, The Green Mill, Delilah’s etc, etc, etc.

Great, great city with an awful airport.

5 Likes

Thanks Casual! lovely

this, so much this.

1 Like

I was in Chicago at the start of March and despite being seriously brass monkeys it’s a great city.

A couple of record shops for you

Shuga records, just round the corner from a very nice bar called Scofflaw. Miyagi Records, very test pressing :wink: Dorian’s Through the Record Shop, which I thought was pricey but there’s a great little bar out the back.

they’re all out in one of the neighbourhoods (Logan Park IIRC) but if you’re down town I found a great bagel place Hero Coffee and Bagel Bar.

I’ll jot down some more if I remember them

1 Like

Birrieria Zaragoza, Calumet Fisheries, Triple Crown, Lula Cafe
The Green Mill for jazz
Keep scanning the dial; radio in chitown is full of hidden (and not so hidden) gems

1 Like

Maybe a local will correct me with a different recbut we heard a killer blues set at Blue Chicago on Clark. Great spot and vibe.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Rb7k7TnRdjADvTCf8?g_st=com.google.maps.preview.copy

Gramophone etc as mentioned but also both Signal records at Logan & Wicker (https://www.instagram.com/signalrecordschicago/) great used selection.

Mr Beef , Margies Candies, Pequod’s and Kasama (all Bear related great food places esp Kasama - amazing bakery).

Myopic books

Rock N Roll Vintage & Synth City - amazing mess of old synths and studio equipment (as well as guitars) if you like that kind of thing.

5 Likes

solid first post there. Welcome!

1 Like

Before my Mum visited Chicago in 2019, she asked if I wanted anything. “Bring back some early house records”, I said jokingly. “Some what?” she replied, puzzled.

Imagine my open mouthed astonishment when she came back with Fingers Inc ‘A Path’ on 12.

15 Likes

I have one tip and one tip only

Go to Dove’s Luncheonette for breakfast / brunch and take the Burnt End Hash

You will not regret

1 Like

I’d love to have seen the guy in the store’s face when your mum asked for “an early house record”. The fact that he or she gave her a A Path is outstanding as well. Top work all round.

3 Likes

I was there back in 2008…so a long time ago, but I think some of these still hold true (others please correct me if I’m wrong). Green Mill is decent, but Kingston Mines also great for blues. Second City good for live comedy (saturday night live vibes). Gibson’s or Smith and Wollensky’s for an expensive but oh so very good steak. Try and catch a cubs game if you can its a great day/evening out…if you don’t get a ticket the bars are still fun around there to watch the game in and there are batting cages etc.

1 Like

Cubs game is a great shout. Wrigley is a fantastic ballpark.

2 Likes

Smart Bar, Shelter, Red Dog, Gramophone Records. But it was 30 years ago so might have changed a bit

2 Likes

Yes was going to say Smart Bar…a mate of mine went recently and said it was still brilliant.

1 Like

It was great, saw DJ Sneak, Joshua and couple of others in there on a Thursday night.

2 Likes

I’ve lived here 12 years and never heard of Rock n Roll Vintage and Synth City (what a name). I need to take a trip soon. Thanks for the tip.

Figured I’d add to the list for anyone visiting in the future (plus I’ve never been to Ibiza or Japan). Most everything mentioned above is still relevant and recommended. In addition, there’s actual nice tourist attractions to enjoy:

  • Museums: Museum of Contemporary Art, the Art Institute, Intuit Art Museum (outsider art)
  • Architecture boat tours
  • Lincoln Park Zoo (free)
  • Garfield Park Conservatory
  • Free summer street festivals (there’s even a free house festival downtown - a couple years ago Moodymann played)
  • A short drive to the nearest suburb Oak Park to walk through Frank Lloyd Wright’s house
  • White Sox game (significantly cheaper tickets than Cubs, but the stadium isn’t historic)

Other non-tourist things that haven’t been mentioned yet:

Venues

  • Podlasie Club (house etc. - more intimate space than SmartBar, great sound)
  • Empty Bottle (divey and old, typically great bands playing)
  • Thalia Hall (beautiful interior, lots of space, across from 606 records mentioned above, the basement has a bar called Punch House and there’s often great DJs spinning)
  • Constellation (for your experimental, ambient, modern classical tastes)
  • Salt Shed (enormous indoor and outdoor venue, pretty new)
  • Sleeping village
  • Schubas
  • Experimental sound studio

Record shops (in addition to those above)

  • Laurie’s planet of sound
  • Pinwheel
  • Torn light
  • Let’s boogie (only open Saturdays)
  • Hyde park
  • Record breakers
  • Rattleback
  • Conservatory vintage (about an hour south of Chicago by car or Metra train in Flossmoor, run by Al-Tone aka Tone B Nimble, also sells modern furniture, etc, but it’s basically his massive personal record collection, plus he’s friendly and has stories about playing with all the greats from back in the day)

Restaurants

  • Same same (Thai)
  • Lao peng you (Chinese dumplings/noodles)
  • Club lucky (old school Italian, very kitsch but good)
  • Galit (middle eastern)
  • Dancen (Korean, they do fire chicken, very authentic)
  • Gaijin (okonomiyaki)
  • High five ramen (12 seats only, no reservations, get there when they open and enjoy a beer while you wait, worth it)
  • Chef’s special (Chinese, but with great cocktails, very hip)
  • Mi tocaya antojería (Mexican, women-owned, many accolades)
  • Bungalow by middle brow (pizza, not Chicago-style, yummy dough)

Numerous other restaurants, bars, vintage stores, clothing stores, but this is already too long.

2 Likes