Barcelona - Tips & Places To Go

cool. will try and pop along. I think the last time I heard you play was at the Jaguar Shoes in Shoreditch about 10 years back!

1 Like

Yeah let me know. Hit me up on the insta and I’ll get you in free if it’s a paid thing.

Good to see you Paul. Nice set. Sorry if i was bit slurred. Had had a few. Hope you made flight ok!

Not at all. What’s great city. Great to see you Ollie!

1 Like

It’s a very good one, but theres also Nica at Casa Bonay which reopened this week…both Curtis and Nica appear in this cool little film about Japanese style listening bars in Barcelona from The Vinyl Factory The Rise of Listening Bars: Barcelona | Resident Advisor x Asahi Super Dry - YouTube

1 Like

Hi, what’s your source for NICA re-opening? I heard it was now rented out as a private studio, or at least had been since the pandemic. Good news if stuff is happening there again, even though the actual bar isn’t my favourite

Surprised no-one has mentioned this, but Discos Paradiso is one of my favourite record stores in the world. Definitely worth checking out if you have a couple hours free one afternoon. Back room is full of obscure treasures. Not necessarily the cheapest, but you’ll find tonnes you’ve never heard before.

2 Likes

Just read up a bit and seen you’ve been and gone!

1 Like

Useful info to have on the forum anyway mate.

1 Like

it’s good but ain’t cheap anymore sadly. they do have a rack of old disco re-edits I sometimes go through. For totally forgotten music I prefer the Discos Impacto backroom round the corner on Carrer Tallers ( what was the local equiv of Berwick Street. About 4/5 have survived). This is where you actually have to blow the dust off stuff that’s just sat there for decades… Long forgotten hiphouse nestling alongside eurobeat, bolero and DMC fodder from '93. A mention also for the newest player in town Salvadiscos in a square in the Poble Sec area which is a bar/record shop with DJs at night. Some good stuff in there more on the soul/funk end, but you have to pay 10€ to become a member though.

1 Like

I found Discos Paradiso to be fairly expensive when I last visited in 2019, but not overly so. Was happy to pay their prices considering the choice and bits I found. Sounds like they may have increased their prices since then, and just had a look at their Discogs store which seems to suggest this is the case…

I feel like I did have a quick dig in Discos Impacto but can’t remember it too well, is that the one with the long room full of rock/pop stuff and CDs, and then the cramped backroom with the good stuff? Remember there being quite a blunt old bloke running it…

2 Likes

Correct. He hasn’t been known to smile since at least 1995

2 Likes

I heard it has been rented out for a private studio for over the pandemic…but it opened last week where i saw some DJs doing secret sets out of Sonar. Its up on the Bonay feed so it must be official?

Bar is annoying that they dont serve without a table…but Nica seems to be back :slight_smile:

In terms of record stores, dont sleep on Vinil Vintage, BCore and Libertine in Gracia…and Barcelona city records in Gotic

2 Likes

Forgot that one and haven’t managed to check it on any return trips - next time!

1 Like

if anyone is in town next Fri 23rd, will be playing a few tunes (early doors) before Robin Twelftree and Phil Mison at The King Bar on Carrer del Comerç, Born (free entry all night). Loads of other stuff going on around town that weekend too for the citywide Merce-BAM fiestas.

2 Likes

i’ll swing by for sure…what other stuff/events is/are floating your boat?

1 Like

Bjorn Torske is playing the same night at Cabaret but sadly clashes. Was at Freedonia last weekend which I also really like although the aircon was reduced and it was too hot. It’s really hard for the small players though as the 2 big clubs and festies have such a stranglehold.

1 Like

nice thanks for the Bjorn Torske tip - but Phil Mison for sure is the one i’ll be heading to …Freedonia’s really nice on the right night - went to a good Weatherall tribute there a few months back…as for the small players v big players, always the way (sadly) but they more than make up for it sometimes with imaginative and more interesting bookings!

1 Like

Where’s good for clothing?