Bands / Artists You Wish Had Done More

Was going through my iTunes and thinking about bands and musicians who only made one record and then didn’t do anymore whose music you really liked… Like these guys… Loved the sort of Dilla take on Balearic vibes…

https://www.discogs.com/release/8995022-Juan-Marco-Flumlens-EP

4 Likes

Nancy Azzuro had this release on ESP in 2016 which I liked a lot. Don’t think she ever did anything else.

4 Likes

Manchester’s Chapter and the Verse.

Still one of the most beautiful records ever made, imho. Wish he’d do some more

3 Likes

Haven’t heard anything from Hove in the last few years. Enjoyed his few releases. Maybe doing stuff under another name? Not sure.

1 Like

Green Door Studio darlings: Golden Teacher, imo fantastic post punk mutant diskoid psyche dub

great topic / potential reissues btw😀

3 Likes

They released quite a few I think and maybe even had a major deal. The lady that I mentioned in another thread who originally worked with Tricky managed them. They were really nice records weren’t they.

Campag Velocet immediately spring to mind. Bon Chic Bon Genre is the last great guitar record of the 90’s for my money.

Great guitarist and rhythm section, brilliant (but problematic) front man. Should have been way bigger.

2 Likes

Omg that’s a band I haven’t heard for a while. I saw them in London in the late 90s. Great show, although slightly dodgy use of a woman half stripping off on stage. Pete Tong was there just wondering around. Bon chic indeed !

1 Like

Funky Worm!
Made three 12’s Hustle/The Spell/U+Me
Very of the time dance music with a pop/accessible edge, I thought they made fun/cool music.

Parrot from the band obviously has made loads of cool music.

2 Likes

Yes really nice. Great Western St (in my humble no nothing opinion) is one of the best records out of Manchester.

It was on Rham, I think, which was another connection with (a guy called) Gerald who they used to collaborate with.

Spoke to Aniff a few times on socials and he told me they were thinking about a 3rd album if they could get together (the second album wasn’t much cop).

I’d love to hear more by them as the first album was excellent.

Parlour.

Amor is one of the finest edits I’ve ever heard.

2 Likes

Japanese band fronted by Taeko Ohnuki and Tatsuro Yamashita. They only recorded this album, then broke up. but if you’re a fan of Japanese rock/pop/city pop music then this is an important album. Wish they’d made more, but in a sense their solo careers are the continuation of this.

2 Likes

Gabriel Garzon-Montano released one album on Stones Throw. I’d love to hear more from him.

1 Like

Quite a bizarre one, but this came out before on Internasjonal under a different name

https://www.discogs.com/master/1273503-Nenad-Marković-Kayto

It’s the same guy who did all this stuff - https://www.discogs.com/artist/2936647-33103402

3 Likes

Departure Lounge.

Came out with this worldie in '96 and as far as I can see never made another record

2 Likes

Oh well. I had a soft spot for Nancy and her cdr story. What a mug I am.

Thanks for shattering my dreams/putting me straight!

Next you’ll be telling me Suzanne Kraft isn’t really a sweet old lady.

5 Likes

Years ago I was messaging with one of the dudes from Krossfingers in Russian. He mentioned that Suzanne was doing something with them and I replied using the feminine pronoun and was promptly corrected haha.

1 Like

I wish the corporate rockstars of the early 80s had indulged their new wave/jamming in the Caribbean sides more. Sting, Palmer, Jagger et al… felt to me like everyone got less interesting as the decade went on

1 Like