Audiobook tips

I’ve given in and embraced them. Can anyone recommend any good ones? Not so bothered if I’ve already read the book, more just enjoying the relaxation and not looking at a screen.

I find the narration / voice can really easily put me off. Couldn’t face the Goldfinch despite loving the book, although Donna Tartt reading The Secret History is brilliant. Absolutely loved all the Le Carre ones narrated by Simon Russell Beale.

Tips please!

I liked the first few Mick Herron ones, the actor’s voice is weirdly soothing.

2 Likes

Complete Sherlock Holmes read by Stephen Fry is an absolute bargain

3 Likes

Loved that!

Oh and the Peregrine read by David Attenborough is about as soothing and lovely as you can get if you like a bit of Nature. The book by J.A Baker is a stone cold classic

3 Likes

Food for Life by Tim Spector is very good if you’re interested in what goes into the food you eat.
I enjoyed Fibber in the Heat by Miles Jupp about him pretending to be a cricket correspondent to get to watch England in India.
If you like David Sedaris then any or all of his books are great.

1 Like

I was completely blown away (and turned on to Thomas Hardy) by the incredible Alan Rickman reading The Return Of The Native.

1 Like

Seconded on Sedaris

2 Likes

Not sure if you’re a fan of the book or the guy’s ouevre but the audiobook of Lincoln in the Bardot by George Saunders is one of the best. The cast of voices is immense Nick Offerman, David Sedaris, Ben Stiller, Carrie Brownstein and on and on. I read the book and then listened to the audiobook and it brought the humour out a lot more, and the pathos. Again, if you’re a fan of his work, the audiobook of the Limmy memoirs i’d recommend , his voice makes it vivid in sometimes grim detail.

2 Likes

Narrator definitely makes a big difference

I’m listening to Book of Dust book 2 by Philip Pullman which is read by Michael Sheen

2 Likes

Ive not done the Le Carre ones by SRB, they look the be the R4 dramatised versions
My favourites are the Le Carre ones by Michael Jayston (who was in the Guinness TV Series as Peter Guillam) - Lots longer
Also enjoyed Niall Fergusson Doom & Ascent of Money , he has slightly questionable politics but is a hood historian
After listening to Fear & Loathing by Ron Mcarthy ( which I didnt enjoy but loved teh Harry Dean Stanton version on YTube but not a book I can find) it makes you realise how much the narrator can have an impact @graeme348

1 Like

You’re totally right. It’s in fact the Michael Jayston ones I listened to. I think the main reason that they were such a revelation, is that I’m quite a fast lazy reader. Listening to the audiobook version forced me to take in all the detail properly.

Currently listening to The Speed of Sound by Thomas Dolby - lots of interesting stories from his career.