Acapellas you know and love

As a bedroom DJ, finding a record with an acapella on was always a source of hours of joy.

Hearing a DJ in a club (who was actually competent) drop one over an unexpected track was usually the highlight of a set or a mixtape.

Sasha is an obvious candidate. I also remember John Kelly doing some serious 90s damage with the Doug Lazy/Let It Roll acapella.

What are your favourites?

I’ll start off with two of mine:

https://www.discogs.com/release/75851-Coldcut-Featuring-Lisa-Stansfield-People-Hold-On-The-Blaze-Mix

https://www.discogs.com/master/171607-Joanna-Law-First-Time-Ever

And if anyone’s got a WAV of the Whitney Houston/I Wanna Dance With Somebody acapella please share it. I’ve got unfinished business with my ancient copy of Not Forgotten.

1 Like

Special shout out to king of the acapella Martin Luther King - many ‘I have a dream’ moments in clubs.

I lived for a year in South Africa 1999-2000 and the local speciality was snippets of Mandela speeches over deep house instrumentals

4 Likes

I’ve used the Colonel Abrams - Trapped a lot over the years

4 Likes

Probably my favourite acapella

And of course the obvious one. Nothing escaped this being played over it in my yoot

4 Likes

Bill Hicks made it on to a few - Chicken Lips and Adam Freeland from memory

2 Likes

Roach Motel - The Night (later done by Limos)

don’t recall where it was sourced from?

1 Like

My party moment was Do you want it right now over Gat Decor, not ashamed.

5 Likes

would happily never hear loleatta holloway love sensation again

2 Likes

Jungle Brothers over every house record.

2 Likes

Fila Brazillia as well

2 Likes

Came to say India Love and Happiness, also Jade Violet Skies.

1 Like

Happiness is Just Around the Bend by Cuba Gooding over 40 Miles.

3 Likes

A bit of a tangent but I used to have a mix tape by a mate called Stan, under his Reverend Barry Unlikely moniker. His real name was Grant.
It was a seamless mix of proto house and early 90’s trance style stuff, plus things like Tantra hills of Kathmandu, Last train to lhasa etc.
He’d taken key bits of dialogue from Oliver Stones JFK film and dubbed them over the top, basically telling the story from beginning to end. It was superb and the perfect road trip tape. Wish I still had it.

2 Likes

True Faith - Take Me Away over Frankie Knuckles - Tears (Inst).

4 Likes

Perhaps not strictly an acapella but with minimal percussion it slaps:

3 Likes
1 Like

x

11 Likes

At last! Thank you. I’ve been waiting years for this moment. The wedding guests for my set on Saturday are going to hear this in action!

9 Likes

This will be #1 for me forever.

#2 is this which I use a lot after seeing LB Bad mix it with a nice acid house beat. It works with a lot of heavier stuff surprisingly well.

4 Likes
4 Likes