When people find out you have a large record collection

That is the record room at Soulwax / DEEWEE. Have been there quite a few times. A quality collection of music.

8 Likes

Is it their collection or just label releases?

That would be a lot of releases : )

Itā€™s their collection. Thereā€™s more too. Itā€™s insane.

Largest collection Iā€™ve ever seen in person was Peanut Butter Wolfā€™s. Think heā€™s moved a lot of it to his bar but it was overwhelming.

1 Like

As if he wasnā€™t cool enoughā€‹:joy::+1:

Mine are absolutely all over the shop in terms of organisation. Iā€™ve had them organised so many times only to have a few nights of mayhem and then put them away in any space in the rows I can find and its back to square one. Iā€™ve given up organising them now and its pot luck :laughing:

6 Likes

Chris. I can only try and sell the Discogs and a laptop idea. Assuming you want to condense into a gig box and/or bags to play out?

It is the best thing I have ever done, as your collection is then in the cloud at all times and you can browse virtually. It would have stopped me clearing out huge chunks of somewhat expensive records years ago and leaving quite a fair amount of dross. It also helps me to search new/old stuff as Iā€™m always in the Discogs environment.

OP answer, nobody thinks anything of my record collection. It is just a DJ tool for older music as far as Iā€™m concerned, better to play out on original pressing than digital, but obviously a ultra niche view now.

1 Like

They mentioned in passing that they were after some Nederbeat 7" and i was literally 2 minutes from my place, so i just popped in and grabbed it to give it to them. But i realised that actually giving people with collections that big another record just means it gets filed and completely forgotten about instantly.

I have quite a large collection, but i am really bad for just giving people records if they mention in passing that they are looking for something i own. Especially if i found it cheap.

On more than one occasion the giftee has replied with some variation of ā€œWhy would you do this? I would literally never give away a record to someoneā€ rather than the traditional ā€œoh, thanksā€ or whatever.

I try to keep to a rule of ā€œnever gift a record to a collectorā€ these days, but i like the idea of a record going to itā€™s proper home.

7 Likes

Ah thatā€™s very nice of you. You get good karma points.

1 Like

I only have a 5x5 ikea expedit and a 4 record bags and cases, but had a bunch of people over for a kick on, it was lovely to see their joy of searching through the unorganised mess and finding gold and play in em. Lots of tunes I completely forgot aboutšŸ˜…

5 Likes

Thereā€™s a saying that the best way to find a new record is to dig through your old onesā€¦

13 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes

My dad always used to say ā€œyou can only listen to one record at a timeā€. He shut the fuck up when Carl Cox came over

6 Likes

off the twitterz, so youā€™ve probably seen it already
judging by that flooring probably has a plastic lawn & drives a range rover evoque (sorry if itā€™s you)

4 Likes

Based on the fugly time trial bikes Iā€™m going with records filed in numerical order, by barcode number

5 Likes

Those gold plated Technics tooā€¦

2 Likes

630 copies of No Parlez

2 Likes

Every version of every Genesis record.

2 Likes