What you reading

Was that the night she was supposedly spiked?

I didn’t particularly like their productions but was in awe of them and Phil Harding also. Would have given anything to get into the studio with them!

@J_C yes

1 Like

Seems to me SAW could never have worked in the US. There was a cheekiness and cross-appeal that was alien in a mainstream America that had so emphatically rejected disco 10 years earlier. Equally though, the very seriousness of the US music market divide meant there was less space for the novelty trash that often filled the UK top 40. Almost as though disco duck was a nadir nobody wished to revisit. Either way, these are not debates I imagine troubled anyone who ever gurned to Mandy Smith.

4 Likes

Yes this was the night it supposedly happened, but i believe it wasn’t true.

Watermans pupils looked wide though later in the video :joy:

2 Likes

This is a great read…

7 Likes

sheer terror I imagine

4 Likes

That’s great, many thanks for posting @Apiento

Had no idea there was a book, I’ll definitely try to get my hands on one!

2 Likes

There’s a really good part in the Jeremy Deller ‘Everybody In The Place’ doc on this where he talks about the switch from “those clubs” to “these clubs” and he uses Hitman and Her footage to illustrate where they go to Eclipse or something.

7 Likes

Pete Waterman did a book a few years ago too.

In it he basically claims to have invented everything from heavy metal to northern soul, disco, 2 tone, high energy, acid house, etc, etc

3 Likes

No doubt :roll_eyes:

As well as Mandy Smith Pete also ‘Mixed With The Magic Of’ the extra sensory remix of Scarlett Fantastic No Memories

Lots & lots of dross but some jewels -
I like the way they compare Divine to punk

2 Likes

In the doco they talk about how they got Divine to do a pretty good vocal on the track & sent him on his way, then his manager heard it and was like, no, get him back, Divine doesn’t sing. And they had to get him back to the studio from the airport and get him to come and shout it instead.
Who knows?

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up on the Jeremy Deller doc Paul. Just watched it, really good.

1 Like

Pete Hammond did the remix of Nitzer Ebb’s Join In The Chant and Depeche Mode’s Question of Time - two certified Balearic bangers!

4 Likes

Yeah I liked how he came at the familiar Chicago house and warehouse rave stories from a different perspective (rightly or wrongly) to the familiar tropes

2 Likes

IIRC he also claims credit for Man United’s success (he did a single with them in the early 90s) and saving the British railway system (he bought a heritage train line or something).

Very enjoyable book :joy:

Randomly bumped into her in Bristol a few weeks ago and was dying to ask her :rofl:

1 Like

Really quite an interesting piece on AI & music. I nearly considered starting a new thread. Lots of thing to unpack here.

1 Like

Always finding interesting stuff on LongReads.com. Here’s one for your commute home, about the mighty Kid Creole, written in 2019.

6 Likes

16 Likes