Turntable recommendations/advice/help

Curious as to what justifies the cost of these if there’s any detail anywhere?

1 Like
2 Likes

Interesting.

You can get a mk2 off ebay for £450 and stick a rega arm on it for another couple of hundred. A power supply isn’t gonna cost much either.

Yeah £2500 seems crazy. Thought it was expensive for a pair, let alone a single deck.

Yeh and get it fully serviced by a pro for £150. Master sounds are taking the piss abit

The Soundburger is back!

3 Likes

Had mine two years now. Sound ace when you connect to a portable speaker. I have the handytrax too and it’s way better. Great for fairs.

1 Like

I got my 1200s serviced a couple of weeks ago for the first time in 25 years including new cables…amazing what a difference it makes!

1 Like

Where did you get them done I need to do my 1200’s they desperately need a service although still working perfectly fine after 33 years. want to get all the cables done.

was going to try these people as they are close to me

out of interest how much did you get charged ?

1 Like

I got mine done in Audio Gold New and Used Hi Fi & Record Shop UK | Audio Gold London

It was £278 for one but that included a replacement lid which was broken in transit as well as repairing other bits damaged in a move (somehow the 45 adaptor ended up inside the deck!), plus resetting pitch control, new cables, servicing and cleaning. I winced a bit at the bill but there is an appreciable difference in sound quality. I’m going to take my other one in later this week.

2 Likes

Those Technics-Service guys were highly recommended by others, either on this or another thread. So probably a good bet.

I’ve used Deck Doctor in the past but he only does London.

1 Like

Mine was covered as part of home insurance claim

Last time I checked it was about £125-£150 with new cables and pitch fader included (all original technics parts)

1 Like

I’ve bought parts from him in the past to do three decks, probably not much cheaper than letting him do the work. The new pitch faders that Alps make to his spec are much nicer than the originals which aren’t made anymore.

1 Like

If you are in South London, I’ve used this guy, similar standard to deck doc

Rebadged with their own logo? They need to wind it in, or build their own original design turntable from scratch, then stick their logo on that and charge the ludicrous mark up.

3 Likes

They offered me £250 for a pair of mk2 which all they needed was a service to get them upto spec - and then sell them on for £1500 each ?? I don’t think so!

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s not a great offer for a pair.
Not necessarily defending it and they’re not for me but the cabinets look re-sprayed. New arm, wiring, cables, cart, mat etc.
Don’t know what they sound like. I’ve got several iterations and often wondered what it would be like to pimp one up but ultimately I probably never will!