Trip Hop - Great Music Labelled Wrong

I went to see Tricky at the Shepherds Bush empire after Maxinquaye had come out
“Anyone here like trip hop?.. (Massive crowd cheer)
Well fuck off home then”

9 Likes

Not sure if this is trip hop or not, but got this on a cassette off music magazine that I bought it for metalheadz dnb and this just jumped out. Absolutely ace.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A7UhUj1kJl0

2 Likes

Crap claim to fame. Where we worked in the early 90s the woman in the corner managed tricky. She was called Sally Gross. She had the most random roster of acts going. Was with the guy from Skylab and then managed Rollo, Chapter & The Verse and a few other people. Super cool lady… anyway, me and Dean my friend in the office loved the first tricky white label on Nyeve and walked around London trying to sell it into the dance shops. The only one that totally got it and thought it was amazing was Fat Cat. It was the ‘aftermath’ 12 he self released that has a Prince sample in the middle of it (‘shut up already, damn’). Still a killer killer record.

5 Likes

I like this album, it’s totally tongue in cheek with the Spaghetti Western, Kung Fu and other weird lo fi samples (even some famous Brazilian football announcers) but the underlying beats were cool.

11 Likes

one of those deals where the “album” was a collection of tracks from the previous five years. by the time they were compiled, many probably sounded out of date.

“depth charge” “goal” and “bounty killers” were big big records for me in those years. hell, pretty much everything on vinyl solution was must-own. it had that crazy “we bought a sampler and now anything’s possible” thing going on with it, and they all sat nicely next to my renegade soundwave records of the day.

5 Likes

That’s a perfect description.

3 Likes

Renegade Soundwave :fire::fire::fire:

5 Likes

still one of my all time favorites. i’d pay big money to hear their outtakes between '87-'90. i’d imagine the stuff they dropped on the floor would still be pretty excellent.

1 Like

Probably a robbery

1 Like

I think as studio time wasn’t cheap in those days everything people recorded got pretty much used if possible. We did an interview with Wally Badarou for the site and I was like ‘what out takes have you got you must have some killer stuff you didn’t use?’ and he’s like ‘there is nothing more. We used everything.’

1 Like

This arrived today. It’s only taken me 27 years to get round to picking it up on vinyl. Some killer tracks on it. My flat mate’s copy saw some heavy rotation in our student flat back in the day. Still love a bit of Mo Wax.

5 Likes

A bit of skullduggery!

1 Like

Picked this up in Oxfam yesterday funnily enough (on CD)

enjoyed this during those times

1 Like

I made rips of these Mison and Padilla tapes of very dodgy origin and it seems like a lot of what they’re playing is “downtempo” or “trip hop” (I’ve Shazammed some of the selections in the past). I really enjoy these tapes and don’t know ONE SINGLE SONG on them! But I’m not sure I’d want to listen to the records outside of the context of these mixes. I think a brilliant dj can play something that otherwise feels destined for a hotel lobby and make it work whereas I can not.

3 Likes

Anybody seen this?
Always wondered why Lavelle went from the TH scene & That’s How It Is to playing shite Progressive House, seemed an odd change to me looking from the outside.

2 Likes

Yeah, very bizarre. From playing all kinds of left field music, to formulaic, boring rubbish.

1 Like

I played this a lot at the time. A b side. Lebanese Blonde is a nice track too.

5 Likes

Always thought some of the Weatherall/Sabres stuff fit into this sonic space quite well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4Xi6a9hIsg

1 Like

UNKLE coming through on this Tortoise remix: