Tinnitus & Hearing Loss

My days of going to very loud venues and clubs are behind me really but people need to be careful out there! Particularly with headphones and monitors.

I have a feeling Frank Tope got some of these a while back

1 Like

I have some that I got recently. They take like 20db off… hard to dj with.

3 Likes

I have some. I got mine heavily discounted via the Musicians Union. I think they are -20db.

I originally got them to produce with (I have very bad Tinnitus) but I find them difficult to work with TBH.

Good quality and obviously they fit perfectly. For gigs/clubs I use a pair of Thunderplugs I think they’re called (seem to be a fairly generic design though).

I also have some earplugs by Flare Audio but they don’t seem to work as well as the Thunderplugs

1 Like

How does the -20db sound in a club/gig?

I’ve never worn the ACS Custom plugs in a club/gig but the Thunderplugs I believe are also -20 and they’re fine, they do a really good job of cutting the highs and smoothing the overall sound. I’ve watched numerous loud bands and been fine and also watched Leftfield for instance, and it sounded great

3 Likes

Great, that’s good to know

1 Like

I feel this. I was just listening to the Not a Diving Podcast with Scuba and he was talking to Taimur and Taimur made a point that a lot of club nights (especially in the us) are centered around one off venues and not permanent clubs. With that, it means that a lot of these parties are bringing in sound. On one hand that could be a good experience, assuming the promoter cares about sound (like Blkmarket did). On the other hand, it could mean you are rolling up to a party with a couple of mackie thumps and some subs that are just cranked up way too loud. I’ve unfortunately been in the latter situation more so recently than ever. It’s hard at times to stay more than an hour or so before throwing in the towel.

1 Like

I’ve had several sets of ACS over the years. The first ones were ER15. I lost one so got another set and found ER25 filters which I could swap in and out for the 15s depending on the environment I was in.
I’ve now got some dynamic ones that react to sudden loud noises. I work with power tools and woodworking machinery for my job, I play with fireworks for fun though not nearly as much as I did and then there’s the music of course.
I think they are well worth the money at around £100/£130 a pair.
They are extremely comfortable to wear to the point that you can forget you’re wearing them. If you’re wearing them in a noisy environment it can be weird because you can hear yourself and other people clearly so you don’t raise your voice but unless everyone else is wearing them they can’t hear you :joy:
They are made of silicone and are obviously an odd shape so if you do drop one they bounce erratically and being clear in colour they are difficult to find. You can get them with a cord tying them together which would help. They come with a neat case and because you’ve spent a load on them you’ll be extra careful, Hope that helps :+1:

3 Likes