Separating the art from the artist

Yes, I mean I’m sure I’ll be buying one of his imaginatively priced 12 inches sooner rather than later.

Some stuff, however amazing, I just wouldn’t want to own. For example

2 Likes

The bunch of c**ts thread. Not the posters haha

I remember asking years ago how do you feel when you like someone’s music and then meet them and they are a massive twat. Does it put you off their music? It tends to for me a bit.

3 Likes

Agree wholely :+1:

If such a thing they should have been struck off the DJ list

Amen…

Where was Honey Dijon playing back then? Not seen her linked previously.

w/o wanting to go too deep, I think part of the problem is that we are conditioned to putting people on pedestals. most western societies are pretty secular now and from mid-20th century onwards people started filling that void by worshipping new icons (celebs, sport, music, tick tock and all the rest). so when we realise our fave DJ hero is fundamentally just some fat bloke with similar music tastes, it can be a terrible shock. maybe we need to get back to a time when it was just the fat bloke in the corner playing records and none of us knew who it was, in the same way you don’t know/care what your train driver thinks or looks like. this for me is where dance culture has gone so badly wrong in the last 25 years.

13 Likes

I can’t seem to find the tweet now, so have removed her. Pretty sure it was mentioned on Busineas Teshno

1 Like

Ha I don’t put anyone on a pedestal. I presume all are massive goons until they prove otherwise. Especially DJ’s. I was talking more about producers who music you like but when you realise they are a damn fool does it sour the music they make a little.

1 Like

I have just been reading this sometimes funny and maybe a bit angry thread on a forum I have not come across before. Love the comment r.e Solomun. The forum is no Test Pressing Forum that’s for sure

https://jaded-clubbers.com/d/1136-the-plague-rave-dj-list

'What annoys me most about all of this, is the Innversions crew are all do-gooder purist wankers and the first chance they got they were all headlining events and ignoring the advice from International governments.

This is nearly as pathetic as playing B2B sets with Solomun imo’

4 Likes

Not sure why but made me chuckle.

4 Likes

Yeah spotted that one

Haha the spirit of Faith lives on!

4 Likes

Derrick May has a lot of accusers. It’s the old
Hitler/Wagner debate.

Personally I think you can separate the man and the music…

Off the Wall is sublime even though no-one could defend Jackson…

3 Likes

Yeah this is one of the clearest cut examples of how bright lines don’t work for this quandary. Indefensible human but indispensable music.

5 Likes

Very well put

Totally this.

There’s a distinction isn’t there between what happened in the past and what’s happening now.

You can’t change what happened in the past, you can’t change who Eric Clapton was in the 1970s, Bowie’s alleged 13-year old girlfriend etc, and Michael Jackson (being dead) doesn’t care if you play his music or not. All you can hope for is a clearer-eyed view of the legacy. It’s too late

DJ’s playing plague raves, Clapton COVID nonsense you can push back against and hopefully change people’s minds and behaviour. It’s not too late.

Thanks, this is all helping me work it out in my own head.

4 Likes

one of the factors for me with this is, how much does the awfulness permeate the music itself?

So, I can listen to (most) Michael Jackson and feel less uncomfortable because the personal stuff doesn’t really come into the lyrics or performance. Whereas someone like R Kelly or Chris Brown, whose attitudes to women comes through in their music, makes me feel gross when I hear it because you can’t seperate the context from the work itself.

I don’t believe there’s such a thing as context-free listening - if that was the case then you’d struggle to make a case for something like “Free Nelson Mandela” or “Ghost Town” or anything where the politics of the message are “good” but these things don’t exist in a vacuum.

But I also think if you were to only listen to music by artists whose values and actions and politics you 100% approved of, you would be incredibly limited, and you would drive yourself crazy trying to prove/disprove it.

8 Likes

Good take.

1 Like

I think if you or someone close has ever experienced the heinous crimes like the ones perpetrated by said artistes then I think your take is very different and that counts for a lot of people. Just saying.

5 Likes