Sample chopping at its finest.

I reach for this mixā€¦

https://youtu.be/w7hftJhABOY

1 Like
2 Likes

Simple and devastatingā€¦

Incredible record sooo badly pressedā€¦

1 Like

I think thread title needs clarifying a little? Is it simply second wave/ 90s Chicago? Ron and Chez were strongly associated with KMS, but we all know the label is Detroit! Whereas Guidance is Chicago but asside from, I think, a couple of Ron remixes had no Ron and Chez input.

1 Like

You get the vibe Plum : ) - hope youā€™re good chief!

wow this thread got away from me!

i was thinking the ron / chez / prescription soundā€¦ which yes includes releases on guidance and KMS but i donā€™t think we could lump in those 2 labels on the whole as i think they cover several other styles and sounds (at least in my mind). i associate glenn U with the prescription sound via his various releases on balance and prescription but i admit heā€™s kind of a whole other beast :cowboy_hat_face:

also think it would be cool to hear everyoneā€™s thoughts on the merits of these records and more personal stories (already a few good ones) rather than an endless chain of youtube links. it is a forum after all :relieved: i admit iā€™m guilty of more than a few of these type of threads / posts already!

ron trent said in an interview (think it was his RA podcast) that ā€˜morning factoryā€™ was the result of a surge of inspiration he and chez felt coming out of the sound factory in the early morning hours. this NY sound imported back to chicago is the essence of what i think of as the ron trent / prescription sound

ron also mentioned during the same interview that at the time of recording, it was his first time in berlin (or maybe even europe as a whole, really need to relisten obviously) in something like 15 years. how could someone like ron make a living not playing in berlin for that long? or why would he want to?

2 Likes

Ainā€™t that often the way. You think I can do that, I know exactly what theyā€™ve done there, but it still never captures the essence or feel of that original vibe.

1 Like

Quite easy to get carried away in various directions on here. Itā€™s like playing records, something seems relevant after whatā€™s on at the time, then maybe itā€™s not really.

I discovered Guidance through this CD that came free with Muzik magazine. Used it mainly for after-party smoking and red wine time, but slowly started digging more into the individual artists. I was only 19 at the time so deep house wasnā€™t my thing yet. At that age I wanted music to be a lot more hectic, I enjoyed Chemical Brothers at Turnmills, that sort of thing.

1 Like

A lot of people will have had the journey away from more frantic music - even those of us who were into it relatively early.

:pray:

2 Likes

Mood II Swing remixes of the above for me. And, if Iā€™m allowed to say, especially the dub.

(Ooops! I might have drifted off to New York there.)

On the CD mix he played the dub of the original, which I would post here, but itā€™s not on YouTube, Iā€™ve looked. The vocal is good but Iā€™m all about dubs in general.