New Year's Resolutions

I came off all social media a couple of years ago, I don’t miss it at all. Never enjoyed using any platform and I found it a total waste of time.

Piano lessons are a great idea, I’ve taken them online. I was using Simply Piano but I’m going to try something new this year.

3 Likes

If I didnt have music to push I would do it in a heartbeat. I just dont know what the alternatives are

Cheers for the lessons tip, will check that out

2 Likes

I personally got rid of social media about 5+ years ago, and it has been a god send. The only thing I miss out on is being notified about events in my area since they aren’t published on RA. With that, I have since started a couple of accounts but I always use a temp email address so nothing is tied back to me and just set it up as a random person so no one can put two and two together. It allows me to find events and see music news, but there isn’t any type of pressure to follow people or engage with anything.

Also deleting the apps off your phone is a huge step forward, even if you’re not ready to completely pull the plug.

3 Likes

Has anyone tried Journalling? I’ve started a couple of times but I just can’t make it stick and get into the habit, even though it actually does feel a little bit like a mind clearout when I do it :thinking:

1 Like

I’ve been making notes of mostly past events. The present less so, as there are less current highlights.
I have friend who inputs loads of thoughts into notes on a iPhone and it’s helpful apparently.

Please elaborate J_C

1 Like

I started doing this a few months ago. Still wouldn’t say I’m enjoying it but my days seem too ok go better.

2 Likes

Oh well I just write down what I did during the day, what went well, what could have gone better, jot down any thoughts or plans for tomorrow (keeping it brief) then usually I write three things that I’m grateful for.

Like I say it does feel a bit like a clearout when I do it, it’s just sticking to the habit of doing it I find hard…

My GF has just started a bullet journal, I must admit I don’t really know how it’s supposed to work but she likes it

1 Like

Had lots of plans to get out of the house more, make more social plans, spend more time in nature & was training for another half marathon in Feb. Then I pulled a muscle in my back the week before Xmas, and now I have that sore throat / dry cough virus on top. Feel about 80. Living on paracetamol & ibuprofen, red wine, chocolate and no exercise.
Anyway, it’s taught me to let go of stuff, so that might be a thing for 2023.

3 Likes

Definitely more rewarding when you can walk into the sauna😂

2 Likes

Quitting sweet stuff is my Achilles heel. Sugar is worse than getting off any drug. I doff my cap to you.

6 Likes

Treasure my kids younger years (2 and 4)
Spend more quality time with the wife
Make time to practice piano (had lessons for two years but still terrible)
Come on here and contribute more often
Don’t work every evening habitually

Last one enables all the others!

5 Likes

All too easy when you can work from home. That’s ultimately my resolution though, finish at a reasonable time and switch off.

3 Likes

I do this - often until very late into the night. To be fair, it’s often personal creative work or freelance stuff, but I need to try meditation to alleviate my hyper focus sessions of intense creativity.

2 Likes

Since diabetes (which i’ve turned around) I’ve found, for a slightly healthier rush of sweetness, pineapple is better than any sweets.

3 Likes

I’ve been doing it for a year and the best habit I started. It was difficult during the colder months but it’s a breeze in summer.

2 Likes

The ‘gently baked’ pineapple from Urban Fruits is brilliant.

1 Like

That’s great to hear!

Good tip! I too have been trying to substitute with fruit, but its really hard when my pusher, aka my wife, brings home a family pack of Kit Kats!

1 Like

Is that not a strain of weed? :wink:

3 Likes

Whoops, pressed delete instead of edit. As I was saying …

Enjoying reading these resolution thoughts.

I deleted Facebook 4 years ago and Twitter 5 months ago. I don’t miss either. I like Instagram and follow interesting people so I’m fine with that for now.

Also trying to kick refined sugar - have been for years, ever since I quit smoking 15 years ago. I’ve started couch to 5k just to get fit again.

Personal life - happy relationship, permanently skint since marriage ended, never go out but I’m 51 so that explains mostly why. I’m an introvert by nature anyway and it seems to get worse with age!

6 Likes