Durty Secrets

Anyone else hiding a dirty secret? A band that you like, maybe from your youth that you’d be a bit careful about who you admitted it to now?
As an example I’ve a mate who has exquisite taste on the whole, has made music in the past and is extremely creative. He was heavily involved in the edgier parts of Glastonbury festival and championed some great underground acts. He is also a fan of Coldplay,
Depending on the response to this topic I may come clean as well. After all, its a safe environment, right? :joy:

5 Likes

Not sure if this counts- my first tape I bought was Hanson mmbop and my first album was spice girls lol

9 Likes

Strong answer Henry, though I suspect you grew out of that phase quite quickly? :joy:

2 Likes

lol yeh next tape was Eminem

4 Likes

Mmm Bop is class tho

2 Likes

I had a Peter Andre poster on my wall :laughing:

3 Likes

A huge one. Well, two.

I really like Genesis (Gabriel era). And Yes.

I have twin siblings who are 13 years older than me and their teenage listening shaped me from year dot. My sister into Motown, Soul and later Disco and my brother was into Floyd, Zeppelin, prog rock etc. Many happy childhood memories of getting lost in albums like Topographic Oceans and Seconds Out

I’ll get my coat.

8 Likes

This is the stuff. :+1:

1 Like

Probably one for the small claims court, but a couple of years ago I got a call from Roger Dean. He was looking for someone to make some new windows etc for this weird futuristic house he’d designed back in the 70’s. I met up with him and he gave me a beautiful book of his art (one for the coffee table thread?)
I visited the house which was on the back of a huge trailer. I never heard from him again and not sure what happened to the project but he was a lovely man.

2 Likes

I heard Derrick Carter play MmmBop and it rocked. No shame whatsoever in my musical tastes. Pop, prog rock, smooth jazz, hair bands, country, whatever. If its a recognized genre there is almost certainly something great at its heart and if I like it, I like it.

1 Like

for a long time, i’ve wanted to start a thread called “tell me about…” where i (or others) voice our complete lack of understanding or awareness or connection to a musical something, in hopes that someone else who has deep knowledge or proficiency in that area will help the other person out.

my first “tell me about” was going to be about genesis. i’m from the states, i know the story post peter gabriel, i see plenty of those 70’s albums in the used bins, but i don’t know what’s good, or interesting, or why.

4 Likes

Albums like Topogrpahic Oceans and Lambs Lies Down on Broadway were like adventures for me as a kid. Really intriguing artwork always helped set the tone. Musical movies for sure.

Edit: Also, compared to the Peters & Lee and James Last my mum and dad were into this was some wild sounding shit in the mid 70’s!

1 Like

keeping in the spirit of “durty secrets” i’ll note that a good friend of mine and a talented musician/studio guy worked as a producer/engineer on a nickelback album and as far as i can tell, will only talk about it when he’s drunk.

8 Likes

I regularly play at my local beach; nothing is off limits but lots of musically rich dance music, soulful house, jazz, deep/underground, balearic, etc. A friend / beach bum fixture kept asking for Rockstar by Nickleback and, me being far far too cool, I kept making excuses, ignoring and eventually explaining to him why Nickleback was something of a punchline. He was unrelenting so after a year or more I gave in and bought a copy. I have to say that the smile that came over him completely changed my tune. I’ve since snuck it into a couple sets including one for my regular aficionado listeners and it has rocked every time. Fuck cool.

3 Likes

I’m a big Ken Bruce fan.

7 Likes

Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

1 Like

Not content with the single, asked for and got this for my 10th or 11th birthday. I’ve always been into hip hop - guess this was sort of a gateway drug :grin:

8 Likes

I still think this is a banger

edit possibly the least animated/bored audience in televised music history.

5 Likes

Roland’s seen some sh1t…

4 Likes

I bet, International superstar yeeeeaaaaaah! He had quite an acerbic wit too from what I remember.

1 Like