Best. Gig. Ever

The yin to the other thread’s yang. Tell us about those nights where the stars aligned, everything went right and the records seemed to play themselves.

2 Likes

Naive Melody at Charlie’s (appropriate name iirc) in Manchester July 2007, co-DJing with Matthew Burgess. Infamously known as “the night Moonboots danced”.

A marvellously messy night from the first record we put on until the last. Every mix seemed to work and every choice was the right one. The records played themselves, as you say. Brilliant memories.

6 Likes

lol does no one have good experiences ?:rofl:

1 Like

They just aren’t as fun to recount as the terrible ones, it seems!

The best ones are ones that almost feel like they didn’t happen and fly by in a second. Just gone. Like I played golf when I was little (like on public courses not fancy golf) and sometimes you’d play a shot and it like you didn’t even hit the ball and it just flew. The best gigs always feel like that. Same with the radio. When it just flows and you’re in it its so nice… I also like DJing together with Piers cause I get to annoy him for two hours and he can’t run away…

3 Likes

Okay, I’ll go.

Club in Berlin. I had assumed that they’d tuck me safely away in the smaller space, but I was in the main room, Like Paul says, the time just flew, 4 hours in the blink of an eye. Afterwards they paid me more than I had asked for.

The flip side to this was that on my third visit, they asked me about becoming a resident. However, after my set they never contacted me again. I might have played one too many tunes from the Massive Vocal Screamers thread…

Precious Hall was extremely special too.

Or anytime I play with Paul of course :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My first recurrent gig which turned into a 2y residency is still by far the best time I ever had DJing. I was figuring shit out as I went along and people didn’t care. I started out playing trip hop, psychedelic and shoegaze rock, went to hip hop, and finally to disco and funkier stuff. The club had a very crappy soundsystem, turntables were always busted in some different unexpected way, loads of feedback, “booth” was a shitty particle board table on the same level as the drunk people dancing, mixers would crap out constantly, but I didn’t care and neither did anyone else. It was the time of my life, and I knew it then, just as I do now. I had a lot of fun, and got nothing but experience from that. I still miss it a lot.

8 Likes