1997: The 90s Best Year For Albums?

4 Likes

Chris Gray is an incredible producer, definitely one that’s gone very much under the radar. His releases are extremely sort after. Tranquil solutions ep & the mysticisms of ampalaya both still elude me.

1 Like

Stereolab - Dots and Loops was 97 too. Not that I was listening to it at the time.

1 Like

Best of ‘97

in my (at that time) very blunt’ed opinion :man_in_lotus_position:

David Holmes - Let’s get killed

Air - Premiers Symptômes

Thievery Corporation - Sounds from the Thievery Hi-Fi

A Forest Mighty Black - Mellowdramatic

EPMD - Back in Business

The Beatnuts - Stone Crazy

5 Likes

Erykah album brings back some memories of NYC, spent a few weeks there in September, 97 staying at hotel 17 on East 17 St… Crazy place

2 Likes

In 1997 I was in deep house heaven buying everything that came out on Nuphonic, Paper, Guidance, etc.

These albums in particular stand the test of time for me…

Chris Brann - Deep Fall
Glenn Underground - The Jerusalem eps
Moodymann - Silent Introduction
I:cube - Picnic Attack
Gemini - In and Out of Fog and Lights and In Neutral (incredible output in one year)
Daft Punk - Homework
Ballistic Brothers - Rude System

Not strictly an album but I was also rinsing the Xpress2 Late Night Sessions comp.

But for me Nu Yorican Soul has special memories. First visit to New York, staying at The Gershwin midtown. Missus booked us a rather sketchy stretch limo from JFK and stuck a tape of Nu Yorican Soul on as we drove into the city. Nice memory.
Picked up a pair of Original 95s on the trip and thought I was the bollocks when I got back home to Aberdeen and Toft from Hanon kept asking where I got them.

6 Likes

I was in the work local at lunchtime, a 7ft Swede who worked there put on ‘I can’t kick this feeling when it hits’ and I was speechless for the duration. Strange place to hear such a gamechanger for the first time.

4 Likes

Yes! Great album

1 Like